Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Backup Computer Crashed

Heiskell, Tennessee

Weather: low 60 degrees, high 86 degrees, mostly clear skies

When we got up this morning, it didn't take much for us to convince ourselves that we didn't want to move on down the road today. In fact, I would be surprised if we move before next Monday. We came up this way to find some cooler weather, and so far, our plan has worked. Tomorrow is supposed to be the warmest day since we've been here. After that, nothing but cool weather for the next week.

The only time I went anywhere today was to go to the WalMart Mall to pick up a few groceries. While there, I looked at the GPS units, but didn't see what I was looking for. Of course, I'm not sure what I'm looking at when I look at the units. I've never used a GPS unit before. Could it be I'm resisting taking on more technology?

Speaking of technology, our old HP computer which we bought back in 2003, crashed again last week. The HP is our backup computer for the time when the new one doesn't work. The new one is doing fine so far, but it's probably only a matter of time before it crashes. Today, I did a quick recovery to get the old one going again. Now, if there was ever a statement that was misleading, it's quick recovery for a computer. After two hours working on the old computer, I had it operational again, but only a small portion of what we needed on it was completed. At least it's doing fine now. Care to take odds on how long it keeps working? Eventually, we'll have to buy another backup computer.

When the rainstorm hit this area on Sunday, some of the roads in the park were washed out by the torrential downfall. Not washed out in the sense that they were not drivable, but deep ruts were washed in the rocks and gravel. Today, park management had a couple of dump truck loads of gravel brought in for repairs. A tractor with a box blade was used to spread and smooth out the gravel and fill in the washed out areas. By mid-afternoon, everything was filled in and repaired. This is a busy park, and if the damage had not been quickly repaired, more damage might have resulted.

We'll probably get out and do something tomorrow. I can only stand so much inactivity.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Norris, Tennessee: A National Historic City

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

look at the TOM TOM's, best out there right now and real easy to use

Jerald said...

I've been looking at the reviews on the different units. Receiving your review helps. Thanks.

Jerald