Saturday, February 27, 2010

Dastardly Vertigo

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 42 degrees, high 62 degrees, cloudy until noon, then clear skies, breezy

The picture below is of the Grand Canyon that we took in 2004. Note the Colorado River in the upper center of the picture. What a spectacular place to visit!



We hoped for the best, but Carolyn's vertigo reared it's ugly head again this morning after yesterday's long drive to Bay City. In the last few weeks, we have been moving short distances. One reason for the short moves was the hope that keeping her from getting too tired would keep the vertigo under control. Unfortunately, we had no choice but to drive farther yesterday since we needed to get to Bay City. One thing we do know now: 300 miles in one day is too much for Carolyn to be able to control her vertigo. She gets too tired and the visual stimulation caused by the changing countryside doesn't help. So, once this job is finished here, we will make every effort to keep our moves to shorter distances. Like 100 miles or less. We know there may be times when we have to go farther than we want, but we'll deal with that when the time comes.

Since Carolyn's vertigo made her sick this morning, I knew I would have to do everything I could to help her through this tough time. While she was trying to take it easy by hanging onto the couch, I took the laundry to the laundromat and washed our clothes. For some reason, washing clothes is a chore that I find to be relaxing. But, I also don't have a problem with washing dishes. I've heard people complain about how much they dislike those chores, but it's never seemed like a drudge to me.

After bringing the clothes home and putting them up, I took Carolyn's grocery list to the WalMart Mall and bought our groceries. Well, that is, everything that I could. It seems she wanted a two-pound bag of self-rising flour, and would you believe the Mall didn't have it? I stopped at HEB, and they also didn't have it. Does anyone sell little bags of self-rising flour now? There was plenty of plain flour, and five-pound bags of self-rising flour, but not the small bags Carolyn wanted. Anything bigger than the small bags tends to go bad before we can use it.

By the time I brought the groceries home and put them up, it was time for lunch. Then, outside to hook up the sewer hose. A problem popped up right away. The single length of hose was too short. I have a new length of hose, but when I tried to connect a coupler to the two pieces of hose, I found the coupler was the same diameter as the hose. That means the hose wouldn't go over the coupler. A trip was made to the local hardware store for a piece of PVC pipe that I thought might work. Well, the PVC pipe would work for one piece of hose, but not for the other. Drat!! That was it. No more work for today. I'll think about it tomorrow.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Williams, Arizona: Gateway To The Grand Canyon

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: