Thursday, October 7, 2010

On The Road Again

Tifton, Georgia

Weather: low 46 degrees in Ocala, Florida, high 79 degrees in Tifton, Georgia, clear skies

Did you notice the low temperature in Ocala this morning? I stepped outside to take a walk, and immediately turned around, went back inside, and put some long pants on, along with a light jacket. It was just a little too cool for this southern blood of mine!

When my walk was finished, I had breakfast as Carolyn and I talked about what we needed to do to get ready to leave Ocala. We had been there four months, and we wanted to make sure everything was finished so there wouldn't be any mistakes down the road. I pulled out our trusty departure list, and we checked off the items as they were finished. We discovered long ago that there is less stress by using the list, and I'm sure it has saved us many mistakes over the years.

I still had a few things to do outside, like put up the satellite dish and sewer hose, put up the fresh water hose, and so forth. Since there wasn't a hurry, I took my time, with the result that Carolyn started asking me if I was about ready to move the slide-outs in. Her job is to push the button that runs them in, while I stand by outside making sure everything is going well.

Finally, I told Carolyn to push the button after I had made sure we didn't have any trash on the slide-out roofs. Then, it was a matter of raising the rear landing jacks, hooking the truck up to the RV, checking the lights on the truck and RV, and washing my hands that had gotten dirty doing my thing outside. Oh, I forgot a couple of things: we checked the tire pressures with our tire monitoring system (still topped off), and adjusted the truck mirrors. Tally Ho! We're ready!

We pulled out about 1000 hours, and it felt a little strange after sitting for the last four months. It didn't take long to get back in the groove. We got onto I-75 and turned north. Traffic was light and road conditions were perfect. We couldn't have asked for better weather or road.

Since we hadn't traveled with the RV for such a long time, our first stop was only about 35 miles up the road at the Gainesville rest area. That stop was to make sure everything about the truck and RV was doing well, which they were. Then, it was back on the road until White Springs, where we stopped and picked up some lunch to go.

The next stop was at the Georgia welcome center, just across the state line. Both of us were getting a little stiff, and we knew that we would feel better with a little walk around.

We are staying about nine miles east of Tifton on US 82 at a little country RV park. Very quiet and peaceful, and it gives us a good base to do some exploring for 2-3 days. As I said yesterday, Carolyn wants to do some cemetery prowling, looking for genealogy stuff. In addition, she was born and raised in this neck of the woods, so it gives her a chance to see how things have changed.

Cell phone signals here are a little iffy, so if anyone is trying to call us, leave a message if we don't answer and we'll get back to you as soon as possible. In the meantime, I'll go up the road a few miles to publish the blog, if needed.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Alvin, Texas: Little A-Town

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: