Saturday, March 12, 2011

New Rocking Chair

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 34 degrees, high 68 degrees, clear skies

It was a glorious day! Beautiful weather, and I felt a little better today. In fact, I felt well enough that I invited Carolyn to breakfast at McDonald's. I know, I know, there are probably better places, but she chose the restaurant, so don't blame me.

After breakfast, I still felt good, so I suggested we see if we could find some yard sales to check out. We have been looking for certain items, and having trouble finding exactly what we wanted. The first yard sale we stopped at was a waste of time. They had almost all clothes, and everything else was just junk.

The second sale had better merchandise, and we found a bunch of crochet books for Carolyn. The books are usually about $5.00 each, and she bought 18 of them for a total of $4.50. I would say that's a good value.

The third place we stopped at was almost missed. We were driving along talking, and I happened to catch a glimpse of a brightly colored piece of paper on a real estate sign. Looking closer, I saw that there was a moving sale going on. We stopped, and before we left, I had bought two very nice brass lamps that we estimated would have cost about $200.00 from a store. We paid $25.00 total for the two lamps. As I continued looking, my eyes fell on a rocking chair. To my surprise, the chair was for sale for only $40.00. I sat down and started rocking. Well, the fit was perfect, and I thought of the perfect place for the chair. So, I bought the rocker, also. It looks brand new, and is very well made. I think we will get a lot of good use out of it.

By the time we left the moving sale, I was starting to drag a little. We went home, where the lamps and chair were a perfect fit. As I was moving the chair in the front door, Carolyn noticed that one of the shutters on the front of the house had fallen in to the flower bed. I put the shutter back in place, making sure the rest of them were also okay. We think the high winds over the last week may have blown the one off.

Since I was on a roll with getting things done, I decided to check for the source of the oil leak that was discovered when I had the truck serviced yesterday. The best explanation I can come up with is that the oil plug was left a little loose (again), or there is a hairline crack in the area of the plug that allows a little weeping of oil. I cleaned everything off, and will keep an eye on it until I can figure out what the real problem is.

After all that activity, I was starting to drag a little more. I spent the rest of the afternoon watching college basketball, especially enjoying the Florida/Vanderbilt game. Florida was behind at one time by 12 points, but won the game by 11 points. Tomorrow, they play Kentucky for the Southeastern Conference tournament title. It should be a good game.

At supper time, we decided to go in to town and try another Chinese restaurant. Carolyn says the food was good, but I couldn't taste it. My recent illness makes everything taste like medicine. Yuck!

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Boston, Massachusetts: The City Of Kind Hearts

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: