Sunday, May 24, 2009

Lighthouses

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 70 degrees, high 78 degrees, rainy

The rain continued all night and didn't let up until after lunch. As a result, my walk was put off until the afternoon. When I did go for a walk, I got caught in a little shower that lasted for about ten minutes. Once that shower was finished, I was able to complete my walk. Boy, was it humid! I was glad to get home and cool off.

I have mentioned several times how much I like to find the old courthouses and review their history. In addition, I like lighthouses. When we were in Oregon, we had a several chances to see old lighthouses that were invaluable to ships in the days before GPS technology became available. This first picture is of the Yaquina Head Lighthouse, located near Newport, Oregon. At 93 feet tall, it is the tallest lighthouse in Oregon. Built in the period of 1871 to 1873, it was automated in 1963 and is currently in use. The lighthouse was used as the setting for the "Moesko Island Lighthouse" in the 2002 film The Ring. It appeared in an earlier film, Hysterical (1983), and The Nancy Drew Mysteries 1977 television series episode "The Mystery of Pirate's Cove".

This is the Coquille River Lighthouse, located at Bandon, Oregon. It was activated in 1896 to guide sailors through the dangerous waters where the Coquille River entered the ocean. The height of the lighthouse is relatively short at 40 feet. After the river channel was improved, the lighthouse was decommissioned in 1939. At this time, the old lighthouse is maintained as a tourist attraction by the state.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Bandon, Oregon: The Storm Capital Of America

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: