Sunday, July 3, 2011

I Missed Something Yesterday

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 64 degrees, high 91 degrees, clear skies

I made a great mistake in yesterday's post - I failed to mention that Carolyn and I had been married 48 years as of yesterday. How in the world did I forget that? The only thing I can think of is that I have been under the weather. Of course, Carolyn is under the same pressure as me, and she has to fight the effects of her vertigo issues. We did wish each other a happy anniversary, and had plans to eat out, but the little problem I had yesterday morning stopped our plans.

But, I did remember the roses. Two dozen of very pretty red roses that Carolyn loves, and she'll tale care of them as long as they are viable.



This post was difficult to write, as it seems the holiday has spawned a horde of people working on their computers. I think many of the people are downloading movies which takes up a lot of band width, slowing the signal down for everyone. Part of the post was written on the HP, while part of it was written on the I-Pad, which doesn't seem as affected by the slow signal.

I had a lot of problems sleeping last night, for the first time in about four nights. So, I'm back to trying to nap in the daytime so I can get some sleep and rest. It may have been the excitement of Lori's family being here, but I have to try to spend some time with them.

The neighborhood we live in is a very nice area, with mostly newer houses and well-landscaped yards. I find it amusing sitting at the dining room window, watching as first one, then another home owner will start mowing. It seems like the daylight hours are filled with the sound of mowers running. Many people use a yard service to keep their yards looking good, and eventually, we may have to go to that. That's too bad, because both of us enjoy working in the yard.

Scott and Chriselda are celebrating a wedding anniversary today, made even more special by the birth of their son. Happy anniversary, guys.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Pulaski, Tennessee: Small Town Style, Big City Services

Not all who wander are lost.

6 comments:

Bob and carol said...

Hello, I am very worried about you and Carolyn as it has been 9 days since you have posted! I prayed for you the last several nights and you have been in my thoughts constantly! May God be with you two! Hope for a update soon!

David Ziegler said...

For all who follow Uncle Jerald's blog and do not know of his passing:

ATHENS Jerald David Simmons died July 6, 2011, in Athens.

Born in Ocala, Fla. on May 9, 1943, to Claude Simmons and Nannie Perry Simmons, Jerald was the eldest of seven.

He was preceded in death by his parents; his brother, Bruce; and his daughter, Lisa.

Jerald is survived by his wife, Carolyn of Athens; his daughters, Terri Simmons of Tuscaloosa and Lori Simmons Diehl of Bay City, Texas; grandchildren, Julian and Zoe Diehl of Bay City, Texas and Thomas McDougle of Tuscaloosa; sisters, Judy Ziegler (Roger) of Athens and Janie Ziegler (Wayne) of Mulberry, Fla.; brothers, Terrell (Kathy) of Maryville, Tenn., Roger (Willa) of Ocala, Fla., and Keith (Nancy) of Hope, Ark.; and numerous nieces, nephews, and cousins.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made in Jerald's name to the Amyloidosis Foundation.

McConnell Funeral Home of Athens, a Dignity Memorial Provider, is in charge of arrangements.
Published in Tuscaloosa News on July 8, 2011

Carol higginbotham said...

To Carolyn and family, As I said previously I have been worried about your family. I really knew in my heart that something was terribly wrong! Last night I looked up the obituaries for Elkmont and was so saddened to see that Jerald had passed away! I immediacy went to the Lord in prayers and asked him to guide the family in this time of grief! I have followed the two of you for several years and feel as if you are part of my family! I never got to meet you but had talked to Jerald 2 times and we went to Huntsville in March to pick up a new truck and had planned to travel a little further to meet you two! But the day got away from us to fast and I regret that we never got to meet you and Jeralld. We live in Chattanooga tn. And are camp hosting at Honeycomb Campground in Grant Al. We will be here thru Sept at least! Would still love to visit you Carolyn and family if and when you are up to it. Please call me anytime the number is 423 596-1235. Again my sincere sympathy to you the girls and grandchildren . With love, Carol Higginbotham

Carol Higginbotham said...

Also if there is anything that my husband and I can do to help in any way please do not hesitate to call and ask! I have so enjoyed your journal and always looked so forward to the nightly updates! I will continue to keep your family in prayer! With love, Carol Higginbotham

Terri said...

Thank you David for posting a link to the obituary. I am missing him a lot today. it's hard to go through his things. All of us were very blessed to have him in our life. He was a bright light taken too soon. We love all of you. Terri

Terri Simmons said...

Carol, Thank you for your condolences and all of the prayers. It means more than you could ever know to our family. If I were to list all of the things I miss about my Dad it would end up being a novel. I had no idea how many people my Dad got to know through his blog or how many lives he touched in so many other ways until I had to start helping my Mom clear up lingering business. He truly was an angel on earth. The only thing that makes me feel better is that we know he is no longer in pain. The outpouring of support for us & shock of losing Dad has been amazing. Mom is doing as well as can be expected...some days are better than others. My son and I are moving in with Mom to help her and to help us through this devastating time in our lives.

Thank you again for your concern, prayers and friendship through the years.

Love,
"His girls" Carolyn, Terri and Lori