Monday, December 14, 2009

Harker Heights, Texas

Salado, Texas

Weather: low 54 degrees, high 73 degrees, fog early, mostly cloudy skies

We slept so well last night. The quiet and darkness out here really helps us sleep. I'm getting so lazy with these late mornings. Like, staying in the bed until 0600 to 0700 hours. I may be getting too sorry to go back to work.

It was 0800 hours by the time I finally managed to get out for my morning walk, and the first thing I saw was a big group of about 20 deer only about 50 yards from the RV. The farther I walked, the more deer I saw. By the time I was finished, I counted at least 50 deer, and at least a dozen of them were trophy class bucks. Carolyn loves it.

When I got back home from the walk, Carolyn had prepared a late breakfast for us. I was ready for something, so it was a nice treat. Eventually, we decided to go roaming to see what was around us. We headed west, and saw a sign pointing north for Harker Heights. This town is a suburb of Killeen, which is where Fort Hood is located. Little did we know that Harker Heights was as big as it is, with 25,000 people and growing. After checking the town out a little, we backtracked and headed west again, across cedar and oak covered hills.

Eventually, we made it to the little town of Florence, where we turned to the east and drove back roads to Jarrell, where a tornado hit the town a little more than two years ago. A lot of damage was done, but Jarrell seems to have recovered well. According to information I found, 16 new businesses were started in 2009.

When we left Jarrell, we hopped on to I-35 and headed north. A few miles down the road, we entered Salado and drove down the main street of town. Back in the 1800s, the Chisholm Trail followed the main street. Now, the street is lined with artist studios and touristy stuff. I have a feeling that the town is covered up with tourists on the weekends and during the summer. At one time, we would have found a town like this to be something we would want to walk around in. Not so much any more.

Eventually, we made our way home, where I decided to clean up the truck. It was so dirty that I had to go over some parts of it 3-4 times to get all the dirt off. While I was at it, I wiped down the inside. The truck looks like it belongs to us again. It probably went ahhhhh when all the dirt was gone.

When the truck was finished, the RV started calling for a bath. By the time that was finished, it was starting to get a little dark, and time for supper. Before I went in, I took some pictures of the deer that were feeding less than 100 yards from the RV.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Harker Heights, Texas: The Bright Star Of Central Texas

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: