Thursday, February 11, 2010

Not So Lazy After All

Alpine, Texas

Weather: low 34 degrees, high 45 degrees, light showers, mostly cloudy skies

Here's a typical fence that we have noticed around homes here in west Texas.

We have found that we can't see a place to it's fullest potential when the weather is like it was today. So, we used the day as an excuse to do a bunch of nothing. Except for.... Wait a minute. Now that I think about it, it wasn't such a slow day after all.

I went for a long walk in between the light showers that came and went all day. The showers were such that I would have had to stand out in it all day to get wet. After the walk, we went to the public library used book store to check out their selections. With about 20 minutes searching, we found 12 books we haven't read. That helped us stock up again.

Carolyn was looking for some craft materials, so we stopped at a couple of stores. The first one didn't have what she wanted, but the second one did, and she was pleased with what she found.

Once I had Carolyn back home, I went to Sul Ross State University to donate blood. There seems to be a real shortage of blood, especially O negative and O positive. It was good to see the response of the university and community to the plea for blood. I had to wait about 45 minutes before I could make a deposit, but that was fine.

When my blood letting was finished, I stopped at the Museum of the Big Bend, located on the university campus. I really didn't know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the exhibits. As expected, the museum concentrated on the history of the Big Bend area, the people who played such an important part in the development of the area, the geology, and the animal life. If any readers are in the area, the museum is well worth a couple of hours.

When I was back at home, I has another chore to take care of. Over the last couple of weeks, we have had a slow leak in one of the RV tires. Unfortunately, we haven't found a place to get it repaired until today. There is a shop here that can do the job when we get ready to leave. In the meantime, the tire had leaked down a little, so I used our air compressor to pump the tire back up to 80 pounds. I'll check it in a couple of days and thereafter until we get ready to leave here. Then we'll get the repair done.

So, I guess it wasn't such a lazy day after all.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Boulder City, Nevada: Home Of Hoover Dam

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: