Monday, February 1, 2010

Dental Emergency

Ozona, Texas

Weather: low 38 degrees in Junction, Texas, high 49 degrees in Ozona, Texas, cloudy and foggy until about 1300 hours, then clear skies

As we were getting ready to hit the road this morning, I had a crown come loose in my mouth while flossing. In my book, that constitutes a little bit of an emergency. Especially considering that it came off in an area of my mouth where I do much of my chewing. Checking the only dentist in Junction, I found that she was closed on Monday. However, the message on her machine said to call her personal number for emergencies. I called the number and she agreed to meet me at her office. She had to drive in from the ranch, while I had to drive to Junction from where we spent the night at Segovia. We met as agreed, and 30 minutes later my tooth was repaired. We had a great conversation, with the dentist telling me about life in the area, and I was telling her about the RV life. How many dentists would have helped me at a time like this in larger cities? Just another reason why we like these small towns we find and visit.

We finally got on the road about 1100 hours, heading west to who knows what adventures. The first town we went through was Sonora, which has the reputation of being one of the worse, if not worse, speed traps in the state. The county (Sutton) has a population of about 4,000 people, but they wrote over 48,000 traffic tickets last year. Beware if going through the area. Is it any wonder they are able to keep their courthouse looking good? Oh, by the way, we didn't get a traffic ticket in Sonora.

Ozona was the next town we came to, and where we stopped for the night. A hundred miles was enough for one day, wasn't it? We didn't want to overdo it, and this seemed like a good place to stop.

Ozona is located in Crockett County, named for (who else) Davy Crockett, one of the heroes of the Battle of the Alamo. The downtown area is centered around a large public square with the county courthouse located on the east side of the square. The town is unincorporated, but seems busier and more prosperous than many of the towns that are incorporated. The main business of the area seems to be oil and gas production and exploration. Unlike many of the counties with larger populations, there is only one school district, and it is countywide.

If the readers want to find an area of the country with few people, look at the area from Kerrville to Fort Stockton and on to El Paso along I-10. As I said, not many people, but the ones that are here are some of the nicest and friendliest people you will ever find. And the scenery is not bad.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Sonora, Texas: Home Of The Caverns Of Sonora

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: