Friday, February 1, 2008

A New Month

Glen Rose, Texas

Weather: low 25 degrees, 63 degrees, clear skies, windy

Can you believe how fast the first month of the year passed? When I was working, it seemed like the time just crawled, and that was with me liking what I did and the people that I worked with. Could it be because I am really liking this retirement deal? Or could it be because I am getting older? Whatever it is, there does not seem to be a boring day. There is always something to do or look forward to. As I have said before, every day seems like Saturday.

One of the things I really like to see in Texas is the old courthouses. There are some beautifully preserved old courthouses that the smaller towns seem determined to save. In the process, they are also helping create a tourist industry. One of the towns, in addition to Glen Rose, that has made a real asset out of their older buildings and history, is Granbury. This town of about 6,000 people is located about eight miles away from us. Earlier this week, I wrote about some of the quirky histories of people in and around Granbury. Their courthouse seems to dominate the area, and can be seen for several miles. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture, but will post one when I get it.

One courthouse I do have some pictures of is the Ellis County Courthouse in Waxahatchie, Texas. Again, a beautiful old courthouse that they are trying to save for posterity. Here's a couple of pictures.



























More later, be safe.
Today's Town - Dane Vang, Texas: Danish Capital of Texas

No comments: