Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Crab Orchard, Tennessee

Crossville, Tennessee

Weather: low 61 degrees, high 79 degrees, partly cloudy skies

A rain storm passed through the area late last night, producing a light and noise show with thunder and lightning along with the rain. When the rain came, Carolyn woke up and started rooting for the cover because she was cold. Is there a better indication that we have not seen weather this cool for awhile?

Remember what I wrote about the bar-b-que restaurant we tried last night? That it was not good at all, and we wouldn't be going there again? When I woke up this morning, my stomach was giving me fits, and I felt so bad I barely managed to do my morning walk. When I got home from the walk, I lazed around for a couple of hours, hoping I would start feeling better, but It didn't work. Finally, I gave up the fight and went back to bed. About 1500 hours, I started feeling better, so we decided to take a ride to the east on US 70 to see what was happening in that area.

The route taken was a good choice, since traffic was light and we were able to drive slowly and enjoy the beautiful countryside. The first little town we passed through was Crab Orchard, which was settled because it is located in a natural gap in the Crab Orchard Mountains. The gap allowed for easier travel between eastern and western parts of Tennessee. There is a lot of history associated with the area, especially with battles between the Indians and settlers. Crab Orchard's main claim to fame at this time is a unique type of sandstone used for building materials.

Along our travel path, we kept seeing several mountain laurels. We thought they had stopped blooming by now, but apparently the conditions are good for more blooms.

The next area of interest we saw was Ozone, which was named to reflect the excellent air quality of the area. This is the home of Ozone Falls State Natural Area, established to protect 110-feet tall Ozone Falls and its gorge. I didn't take the time to hike to the falls, choosing to save that adventure for a day when I feel better.

By the time we finished looking around Ozone, it was time to head back to the RV. Tomorrow is a special day for us, and I want to make sure I'm over the stomach problems of today.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - La Porte, Texas: Long Paper

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: