Monday, July 27, 2009

Streets Of Birmingham

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Weather: low 70 degrees, high 87 degrees, mostly clear skies

Even though we have been through Birmingham many times, we have never spent much time there. The town seems too busy for our comfort level, the roads are rough, and it seems hard to find your way around. In other words, we didn't need the aggravation. Well, today I got a close and personal look at downtown Birmingham. Part of the assistance we're giving Terri involved me going from Vestavia, located about 10 miles south of Birmingham, to downtown. Once I got downtown, I had to go through the medical center area and the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).

Having spent some time in the downtown area today, I noted a few things that reinforced why I don't like going there.

There is a lot of pedestrian traffic associated with the medical center, UAB, and local businesses. You have to be especially careful watching for people darting across the middle of blocks.

There is a traffic light at every street, and none of them are synchronized. That means you have to stop at every street and wait for the light. I had to drive something like 28 blocks, so think about how long that took.

Many of the street signs are missing or hidden. What do you think that does to a person who is not familiar with the area?

The transit buses are large and take up more than their share of the road. It's a good thing I was driving Terri's car.

I could keep going about the traffic and streets, but I think the reader can get an idea of why I don't like downtown Birmingham. I have to do the same trip again in a couple of days, and I'm not looking forward to it.

In other news, The work on Terri's stuff is going well, and we hope to be finished in a week or so. We talked to our other daughter Lori, who lives in Texas. Everything is going well with her family, and they plan to go to Florida on vacation in about three days. She wants to show her family where she spent her early years, and see the relatives still living in Ocala.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Las Vegas, Nevada: City Of Wonder

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's best to stay on the other side of red mountain away from the city if possible. Even though I technically lived in the city as a kid, the only time I went across red mountain was to go to high school. The south direction from B'ham is much nicer, or anywhere away from the city.

Tim

Jerald said...

I agree, Tim, the south direction is much nicer. Unfortunately, part of our business is downtown.

Jerald