Saturday, January 2, 2010

Good To Be Home

Bay City, Texas

weather: low 38 degrees, high 56 degrees, clear skies

It felt good to be back in the RV last night, sleeping in our bed. Even though we had a good time while on the visit to Glen Rose, it's always good to be home. And in this case, home is Bay City because that's where the RV is. Next week, home could be in Austin, or San Antonio, or.....

When I went for my morning walk, it had warmed up enough that I didn't have to wear a heavy jacket, instead using a lighter one. I still used my gloves, since my hands seem to get cold easily. One thing I noticed while out walking is how wet the ground is here. Water is standing everywhere, and the ground is mushy. It wouldn't hurt this area to have dry weather for a month. The forecast doesn't show any rain for at least the next four days. Here's hoping it stays dry.

I went over to see my brother Terrell and his wife Kathy after my walk. Kathy has been fighting cancer for the last three years, and her latest checkup this past week was very positive. We're praying for her and wishing all good things for the new year. They are planning to move to the Knoxville, Tennessee area in the near future as part of their retirement planning. If we're still here when they start packing a moving truck, I'll help load their stuff. While I was visiting, we made plans to meet everyone for a late lunch/early supper at K-2 Restaurant.

When I returned home, I realized it was time for a trip to the WalMart Mall for some necessities. Since everything we needed was at the Mall, the trip didn't take long. Once everything was put up, I talked to Carolyn and Terri for a few minutes, then decided I needed to recharge my batteries. Meditation was performed for a half hour or so. Then I watched some college football, which reminds me that my concerns about Florida not being ready to play last night were unfounded, as Florida defeated Cincinnati 51 to 24. A good end to a great season that might have been a little better.

About 1500 hours, everyone met at K-2, including Lori and her family, Terri and Thomas, Terrell and Kathy, and Scott and Chriselda, plus Carolyn and me. A big group of 12 people that had a corner of the restaurant to ourselves. It felt like some of the old family gatherings we had when we lived in Florida and everyone else was there. I miss those times.

We had a good meal, but the best part of the gathering was being with family and enjoying their company. It would be nice if we could do this more often.

Tonight, we went to Lori's house and had an old fashioned gab fest, with everyone talking and laughing. I am amazed at how our grandchildren are growing up and developing their personalities. They can hold their own in discussions with adults, and their sense of humor is really something. Julian can keep you laughing with one quip after another.

When we left Lori's house and returned home, Carolyn watched Lord Of The Rings on television. When she finished the movie, I watched more college football. A good day with family, good food, and doing the things we like.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Caldwell, Texas: The Kolache Capital Of Texas

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: