Monday, January 18, 2010

Leaking Toilet Bowl Seal

Canyon Lake, Texas

Weather: low 45 degrees, high 70 degrees, fog until noon, then partly cloudy skies

Here's an example of the type of buck that we see here in the park. Look at that rack!

The day started with fog that was so thick that we decided to wait awhile before going anywhere. Eventually, it cleared enough that we went to the laundry in Startzville to wash our clothes. That little chore went well, so when we got home, I used our blue boy waste water transporter to empty our gray water tanks. Another job that went well, so then I decided to tackle a problem (again) that has been bugging us for about two weeks. The toilet bowl wouldn't hold water like it should. The seal was leaking, but several attempts at cleaning it did not make a difference. Last week, we took the toilet apart and cleaned the seal thoroughly (using rubber gloves!). Still no luck on stopping the leak. This afternoon, I took everything apart again, and examined the seal closer than I had before. I found two areas on the seal that were curling, which were apparently causing the leak.

I called the Camping World store in New Braunfels and told them what I was looking for. The store didn't have the part number we needed, but the salesman called Dometic to find out if there was another seal that would work. There was another seal that would work, and the store had one in stock. We drove to the store about 30 miles away and picked up the part. Carolyn did a walk through of the store to see if there was anything she wanted. Then back on the road to home, where I installed the new seal. At this time about five hours later, the repair seems to be working. Is success in my grasp? Oh, by the way, Camping World gave us great service. How many stores would have gone to the trouble they did? This type of service used to be the norm, but when I encounter it now, I'm surprised.

Just another day in the life of RVers.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Florence, South Carolina: A City of Character

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Rick said...

I just discovered your blog this morning - nice job! Toilet seals can be a pain to fix, but it sounds like you may have this one beat - sure hope so!

Jerald said...

Thanks for the kind words about the blog. So far, the repair to the seal is still holding. My fingers are crossed!

Jerald