Friday, November 28, 2008

Left To Our Own Devices

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 68 degrees, high 83 degrees, thick fog early, partly to mostly cloudy skies

Lori and her family began their day early to take advantage of Black Friday shopping. Somehow, Carolyn and I managed to find something to do by ourselves that didn't involve shopping. I think I have been clear on what I think about shopping, a necessary evil.

We took a ride to Palacios, taking the back roads to the little town 30 miles west of Bay City. Whenever we go to Palacios, we usually take the road around the bay. In the back of our minds, we imagine what it would be like to have a place on the bay. We noticed there is a lot of property for sale in Palacios, but nothing that grabbed us. Driving through the downtown area, which took all of a minute, we saw several vacant buildings, and there were some businesses no longer open. The growth for the town appears to be along Texas 35, and several businesses have opened there, including a new grocery store.

There is a large fishing fleet located in the harbor, with a majority of the boats being shrimp boats. I wonder if Forrest Gump has any boats there?

As we were driving by the harbor, we noticed a new sign for an RV park located next to the water. We drove in and checked the new park out, and both of us think that the new park is a good possibility for a future stay. The water would be about 30 feet from the rear of the RV. I could step out the door and have a line in the water in no time. Another plus for the new park is that the fishing fleet is only a few hundred feet away. Can you imagine fresh seafood right off the boats?

On our way home, we took Texas 35 back to Bay City. Hardly anything has changed along the road to Bay City since we sold our house in 2005. On the way into town, we stopped at the library to check out some books, but they were closed for the holiday.

Since we were getting tired, we decided to go on home and do some meditation. Once I had recovered from the strenuous morning, I hooked up the sewer hose and replaced a compartment door latch.

We discussed what to do for supper, and both of us agreed that seafood sounded good. There is a seafood restaurant in Van Vleck named the Bay Town Seafood Restaurant, so we went there since it had gotten good reviews from other people. I had the fried catfish, while Carolyn had the fried shrimp. Ummmmm, boy!! It was really good, and there was so much we couldn't eat all of it. Lunch is ready for tomorrow.

While we were at the restaurant, I saw Dennis O'Brien and his wife. I worked with Dennis when I was still at the South Texas Nuclear Project. It was nice to see Dennis again. He invited me to play golf when I have the time. He and I played as a team in a golf league when I was still working, and I had a great time with him. One of the things I miss about work (maybe the only thing) is working with people like Dennis.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Collegeport, Texas: Town Of Opportunity

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: