Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Paul "Bear" Bryant Museum

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 42 degrees, high 67 degrees, mostly cloudy skies

Since we have been here, I have been trying to find the time to tour the Paul "Bear" Bryant Museum, located near the university's football stadium. Today was the day I finally got to go through the museum. Thomas acted as my guide, since he was out of school for the holiday.

The museum was created out of an idea put forth by Paul Bryant, head football coach of the university for 24 years, as a way of honoring and remembering the achievements of past players, teams, and coaches. The museum has several exhibits that honor Coach Bryant's achievements, including the fact that at one time, he held the record of most wins by a coach at 323. His teams won six national championships, among other achievements. He set a standard for excellence that is still the measuring stick for other coaches and programs. Below is a picture of Coach Bryant near the end of his career, watching his team warm up for a game.



There are many other exhibits that depict the history of Alabama football, from the late 1800s up to the present. It was interesting to see how crude the equipment was that was used in the early days, compared to what is being used today.

One thing that I was looking forward to seeing was an exhibit on one of the most storied All-Americans that played for Alabama, Forrest Gump. For some reason, I couldn't find a single entry on Forrest. I was so disappointed. Luckily, it was the only disappointment of the visit. The tour was enjoyable, and Thomas was a great tour guide. I recommend the museum to everyone.

The rest of the day was uneventful for us. Tonight, we had supper with Terri and Thomas. Being the good host that I am, I allowed them to do some trash talk about how Alabama was going to beat Florida in the Southeastern Conference championship game scheduled to be held in Atlanta on 12/6/08. I'll let my Gators do their talking on the field.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Claxton, Georgia: The Fruitcake Capital Of The World

Not all who wander are lost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, Mr. Good Host, I don't think I was saying a thing about Alabama beating Florida. Thomas wasn't saying anything about Alabama beating Florida. If you remember correctly, we had a discussion about how Miami did ALL the smack talking in 1992. And what happened? It came back to bite them in the a**! Keep it up! Curse them.