Sunday, February 15, 2009

Catch Up

Waco, Texas

Weather: low 38 degrees, high 60 degrees, clear skies until late in the afternoon, then cloudy, windy

The morning dawned clear and cold, but warmed up by noon. This was the kind of day that chambers of commerce would like to have every day. The only negative was the wind, but this is Texas. If the wind is not blowing, something is wrong.

We took it easy today, resting up from the drifting of the last few days. On my way back from my walk, I saw a unique vehicle that I had to get a picture of. Here's a picture of a 1926 Model T Ford. Neat!

The couple that owns this car have a motor home and carry the car in a cargo box towed behind the motor home. They are from Albuquerque, New Mexico, and have been down on the coast since November. They said the car is a great conversation starter. Worked with me.









When we finished lunch, Carolyn wanted to go to Bed, Bath, And Beyond to look for a new bedspread. She didn't find what she was looking for, so I guess we'll keeping looking. Next stop was at Books A Million so Carolyn could look for some of the craft magazines she likes. We were luckier there, and she found three magazines. Then it was back home for meditation.

I promised I would relate what we found when we went up to Hillsboro on Friday. Hillsboro is the county seat of (what else?) Hill County. Hillsboro was established in 1853, and in the early 1900s was the center of the second largest cotton producing area in the country. In 1993, the courthouse was heavily damaged by an electrical fire. Through the efforts of Willie Nelson and others, the courthouse was rebuilt, and is being used as a functioning courthouse. When I was there, there was a trial ongoing in one of the courtrooms. Here's some pictures of the Hill County courthouse.

I guess you can tell I like these old courthouses.



























When we left Hillsboro, we drove across the countryside a few miles to Lake Whitney. This is a lake that was formed by damming the Brazos River, and there are several campgrounds there owned by the state and the Army Corp of Engineers. We will probably spend some time here in the future.

From Lake Whitney, it was back home and rest.

That catches up our adventures.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - West, Texas: Czech Heritage Capital Of Texas

Not all who wander are lost.

1 comment:

THUY DINH said...

"Not all who wander are lost!" --> That's both of YOU!!
I wish I could travel around like that.. but life's so hard for me rite now to do so.. :D
Really admire your lifestyle!