Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Arrived In Ocala, Florida

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 68 degrees in Tallahassee, Florida, high 91 degrees in Ocala, partly cloudy until mid-afternoon, then cloudy with rain showers

We left Tallahassee about 0900 hours this morning. It was another good day for travel, with light traffic and good weather. We were surprised by how light the traffic was on I-75. In the past, we have seen traffic that was bumper to bumper on that highway, with three lanes in each direction. I wonder if the slow economy is affecting travel?

This morning, I spoke to another RVer, who said that he and his wife were going to travel this summer until the fuel prices became too expensive, then they would go home. From the way he talked, it wouldn't take much more in fuel price increases to make them go home. That's a shame, since they bought a new motor home recently.

We found a RV park to stay in just north of Ocala, about three miles outside town. So far, it appears to be quiet, and has some shade to help keep the sun off the RV during the hottest part of the day. Parking and setting the RV up did not take long, but I ran into a problem with the satellite dish. Usually, if there is a problem, it will be with locking onto satellite 110, while 119 is almost always easy to find. Today, it was just the opposite. I found 110 with no problems at all, but couldn't get a signal on 119 that was good enough to watch. After tinkering with the problem a lot longer than I should have, I decided to put everything down and try again tomorrow. It seems I have the most problems with setting the satellite dish up when I'm tired. Maybe I'll be able to set it up tomorrow when I'm rested.

We decided to eat supper at Sonny's Bar-B-Que. Going to this restaurant at least once when we're in Ocala has become a tradition. Over the years, the taste and quality has stayed the same as we remember when we lived here, almost 30 years ago. It was good and there was plenty left for lunch tomorrow. Leftovers!!

We will be busy while here. Carolyn's mother, as well as her sisters and brothers live here. I have a brother and a cousin here, and friends. We'll take the opportunity to drive down to Lakeland to visit my sister Janie and her husband Wayne. We have some other activities planned, so don't be surprised if we take a day to rest.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Orlando, Florida: O-Town

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: