Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Family Cookout

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 72 degrees, high 95 degrees, mostly clear skies

The normal June weather was back today. Hot, no rain, no cooling breezes, high humidity. Just what I remember from years past.

Earlier during our stay, I had contacted my relatives here to find out when we could see them. Over the course of several telephone calls, it was planned that everyone would meet at my brother Roger and his wife Willa's house for a cookout today. My cousin Pat lives here in Ocala, so she didn't have far to drive. My cousin Fay and her husband Cut (it's a nickname) live in Jacksonville, so they had to drive down this morning. My cousin Barbara and her husband Bill live in Pinellas Park, and they drove up this morning. Barbara retired less than two weeks ago, while Bill retired late last year.

It was great seeing everyone again, and we caught up with what has been happening before going outside to start cooking steak, hamburgers, and hot dogs. I should say the men went outside to cook. After all, grilling is a manly activity, and I must say we did an outstanding job. Once the meat had been properly seared and scorched, we sat down to a great meal, complete with all the trimmings and great conversation.

After eating, we sat around moaning and wishing we had a hammock to help our meals digest. All too soon, everyone had to start getting ready to go home. We agreed that we'll do this again the next time we're here.

Late in the afternoon, Roger, Willa, and Stephanie, their daughter, came over to see our new home. They were surprised at how nice the RVs of today are. They are like most people who live in houses - they don't think they could live in something this small.

I'm wore out after all the visiting today. I think I'll cut tonight's post short.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Bartow, Florida: The City Of Oaks and Azaleas

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: