Sunday, May 25, 2008

Carolyn Was Under The Weather

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 70 degrees, high 87 degrees, partly cloudy, humid

Carolyn is suffering some of the warning signs that her vertigo may be trying to come back. Yesterday, she felt just a little off center, and the feeling was worse today. As she was making the bed, she had a spell of dizziness that caused her to have to lie down for a few minutes. As a result of the signs, we decided to stay at home, taking it easy to give her a chance to get back on an even keel. If the symptoms persist tomorrow, she will start doing the exercises that were given to her for times like this. We have our fingers crossed that she will not have a major relapse. The last time she came down with this problem, it took her about six months to recover.

The Alabama Highway Patrol and other law enforcement officials have announced that they will be concentrating on people under the influence or not using their seat belts over the Memorial Holiday weekend. When I went for my walk this morning, I saw two highway patrol officers on motorcycles that had stopped cars. This was at a time when there was hardly any traffic on the road. Later in the afternoon, I saw another traffic stop. Again, very little traffic. It appears to me that people have slowed down their speed in an attempt to save some gas, so maybe law enforcement is concentrating on other issues. I heard on the radio that 1,046 people were killed in traffic accidents last year in Alabama, and over half of those were not wearing seat belts. If these traffic stops help prevent one death, it will be worthwhile.

I like to tease Terri and Thomas about how good the Florida Gators are in football and other sports, versus how badly Alabama has been doing. Since they are such ardent Alabama fans, it is easy to get them spun up. The truth of the matter is that I admire the University of Alabama very much, and always pull for them and other Southeastern Conference teams, except when they are playing Florida. At that time, I want Florida to beat them like a drum. One day, I was telling Terri how I became a Florida fan, and she liked the story so much, she asked me to write it up for her to place on her my facebook (or something like that). I wrote the story today and sent it to her on e-mail. I'm debating whether I should place it in the blog or not. The story relates what life was like in north Florida in 1950, and it was vastly different from life as we know it today. If the story shows up here, you'll know what I decided.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Daytona Beach, Florida: Big Beach, Big Fun

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: