Monday, May 12, 2008

Ouch!

Coker, Alabama


Weather: low 50 degrees, high 74 degrees, clear skies, light breezes

I was in Tuscaloosa to go to the library and take care of a couple other tasks this morning. As I was walking, a hump in the sidewalk jumped up in front of my feet and caused me to trip, sending me sprawling on the concrete. Have any of you ever fallen on concrete before? It is very hard, but even worse, it is rough. As I was sprawling toward the concrete, I put my hands out to catch myself. My left hand did a little skate job across the concrete, removing the skin and some tissue from a spot about two inches square across on the heel of the palm. There were some other minor scrapes that were not nearly as bad. I went home and Carolyn Nightingale put on her nurse's cap. She irrigated the wound with warm water, used hydrogen peroxide to boil it out, placed antibiotic salve on it, and put a bandage on it. So far, it is not hurting, but I will have to leave the bandage off in about day so the wound can start drying out and forming a scab.

Don't you hate it when this type of thing happens? I felt like like an idiot, but how was I to know that the sidewalk was going to jump up in the air like that at the exact moment I was passing by.

When I was taking pictures over the weekend, I took some pictures of the University of Alabama President's Mansion and the football stadium. Below are some of those pictures.



The President's Mansion was built around 1840, and it raised an immediate controversy because the state legislature thought it was too extravagant. It is a beautiful building, and is nicer than many of the state governor mansions I have seen in some other states.




This building was built in the early 1800s and used as a tavern and stage stop for many years. It still looks like it is in good condition.












This is the front entrance to Bryant-Denny Stadium. Like most universities in the south, football is big at the University of Alabama. It seems like they take more pride in the success of their football teams than they do in the fact that the university is a world class school.







This is a statue of Paul "Bear" Bryant, the legendary coach of the football team for many years. They won numerous conference and national championships, and the success of the coaches who have followed has been measured by what the Bear did.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Sulphur, Louisiana: Gateway To The Creole Nature Trail

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad,

The sidewalks of the world are out to get us. Happens to me everyday.

Jerald said...

I can't get over how that thing jumped up in the air at the exact time I was passing by.