Friday, May 9, 2008

Happy Birthday To Me

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 59 degrees, high 87 degrees, clear skies, light breezes

My birthday is today, so I decided there would be no work. I got up late, at least for me. Late was just after 0600 hours. After a leisurely start to the day, I went for a walk of about four miles. Then back home to rest for a short time. We went to lunch, taking our time in that world class restaurant of distinction, MacDonald's. After that sumptuous meal, we went to the WalMart Mall to pick up a few things for Terri for Thomas's birthday sleepover. With a final stop to pick up ice for soft drinks, we were ready to leave Northport and head out to Terri's house.

I iced the drinks down in preparation for Thomas and his friends, who started showing up about 1600 hours. Terri had several errands to take care of, including buying Thomas an X-box (I think), whatever that is. When she arrived, we came home to leftovers. I have been wanting to try a seafood restaurant in Northport, but it always seems as though there is a long line of people waiting to get in. We will try to get there earlier in the day soon so we can check it out. As busy as it is, it must be good.

I turned 65 years old today, being born in 1943. I was born at home in a wide place in the road named Scrambletown, an old sawmill town about 20 miles east of Ocala, Florida. Looking back over my life, I would have to say that I have had a good life. I have a wife I love who is my best friend, two daughters that I cherish, and three grandchildren that the sun rises and sets on. I have two sisters and three brothers still living and I love to get together with them. My career in the nuclear industry was rewarding, financially and professionally. I have friends all over the country that I like to get together with, and, most important, my health is good. I still have enthusiasm for life, and look forward every year to how the Florida Gators will do in football and basketball. Every day is important to me, and I try to do something worthwhile with each of them. The first 65 have been great. Here's looking forward to the next 65.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Palacios, Texas: Shrimp Capital Of Texas

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Joyce & Jerry said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!

Joyce & Jerry

Jerald said...

Thanks - if I had known I would have lived this long.....