Friday, May 16, 2008

Cool

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 60 degrees, high 70 degrees, cloudy until the afternoon, then clear

We had very little to do at the house today, so we were only there for about three hours. Since we had an errand to do up near Bessemer, we drove up there in the afternoon. It was surprising to us how bad the traffic was on I-59. It was almost bumper to bumper, and it didn't appear that anyone except us was driving less than the speed limit, which is 70 mph. When we are traveling with the RV, we like to take the back roads because we think that is more relaxing and we get to see more of what an area is about. Also, it tends to help us get a little better gas mileage, since we are driving slower.

Mercedes has a car factory about ten miles north of Tuscaloosa on I-59. It is a huge complex, and several other satellite businesses have been established to support Mercedes. I'm don't know how many people are employed by the total complex, but I'm sure it makes a significant contribution to the area's economy. While driving by the complex, I was wondering what kind of incentives and concessions Alabama had to give to entice Mercedes to move here. Off the top of my head, I can come up with reduced taxes for a period of time, and improvement of the roads in the area, but there are probably others.

As the reader may have noticed, our high temperature today was only about 70 degrees. The low tomorrow is forecasted for 52 degrees. We are enjoying the lower temperatures because when it gets hot and humid here, it will be tough on us since we have not lived in the high humidity for several years.

I washed the truck today for the first time in about two months. We have been too busy, or when I had the time, the weather was bad. Maybe it will look decent for a few days. Tomorrow, I will clean up the inside. Next week, I need to clean the outside of the RV and start putting some wax on it. The work never ends.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Vinton, Louisiana: Louisiana’s Gateway To Cajun Country

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: