Friday, May 23, 2008

Early To Rise....

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 68 degrees, high 84 degrees, mostly cloudy with a few sprinkles

Have any of you ever woke up early in the night and thought it was time to get up? That's what happened to me this morning. I woke up at what I thought was a fairly routine time for me (0530-0700 hours), washed my face, combed my hair (the little that is left), dressed, and went into the living room, ready to face the day. I looked at the clock and did a double take. 0430 hours? Is that right? Maybe the clock is wrong. I turned the TV on to the Weather Channel to check the weather and time. Hmmm, the Weather Channel time is also 0430 hours. Well, what do I do now? If I stay up, I will feel like crap about noon. If I go back to bed, I probably won't be able to go back to sleep. What should I do?

I got something to drink, thought about what to do another 30 seconds, and went back to bed. After reading for about 10 minutes, I drifted off to sleep and didn't get up until about 0830 hours. Half the day was gone already. But, I have no doubt that I was feeling better than if I had stayed up.

After getting up late, I went for my morning walk. During the walk, it sprinkled on me most of the way, but it wasn't enough to wet me. On the way home, I stopped at a roadside vegetable stand to pick up a few tomatoes for meals that Carolyn plans to cook. This little stand seems to have good quality vegetables at a fair price, so I'm sure we will be going back there.

We went over to Terri's house about 1400 hours to take care of a few chores. While we were there, Terri showed off her new air card that she picked up at Verizon yesterday. She has dial up for Internet service, which is very slow. After listening to me talk about being able to get Internet access with my air card from AT&T, she decided to get one with the hope that it would give her better access than she had with the dial up mode. I advised her to go with Verizon, since they seem to have better Internet service than AT&T. Since she works for the University of Alabama, she was able to get everything needed for nothing except signing the contract for service. Even though she is farther out in the country than we are, her Internet service is broad band with the new air card, and it is faster than our service. I'll be glad when my contract with AT&T runs out so I can switch over to Verizon.

Thomas went to a school dance tonight. As I related last week, he just turned 12 years old. I can remember when he was just born, and now here he is going to dances. They grow up fast. It makes us sad to see our grandchildren grow out of childhood, yet we are looking forward to seeing them grow as teenagers and young adults. They have so much to look forward to. We hope they make all the right choices.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Decatur, Alabama: A Grand City On A Charming Scale

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: