Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Gorgas House

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 46 degrees, high 77 degrees, clear skies

The refrigerator cooled off overnight after the short was repaired yesterday evening. After cleaning the inside, we moved the food back into it. The food had been kept on ice in coolers to make sure it didn't spoil. I can remember my family using an icebox when I was child. The last two days brought those memories back, and I have to say I like the modern refrigerator a lot better.

I had to go to Cottondale after my morning walk so I could pay for the repairs on the RV. The dealer there has a number of RVs on his lot, but he said he is selling very few RVs. Most of his business is coming from parts sales and repairs. In fact, he said he had 48 RVs waiting for repairs. He has five servicemen that stay busy. I hope he stays open because he has the only service facility in this area.

After I returned home and had a late breakfast, I called the manufacturer for our RV to see where to send the invoice for the repairs. I typed up a cover letter explaining what was repaired and the costs, and where to send our money for reimbursement. Then, I went to Office Depot and faxed everything to Heartland, our RV manufacturer. Now, we'll see whether we will have any problems getting our money back.

Carolyn decided she wanted me to cook supper, so we went into Northport to an Italian restaurant that we have used before. Not bad, and we have enough leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

This picture is of the Gorgas House, one of the earliest buildings on the University of Alabama campus. It was built in 1829 for use as the university dining hall. In 1840, it was remodeled for use as a residence. The Gorgas family occupied the house 1879-1953. The house is one of four university buildings that survived the Civil War. The house is named for Josiah Gorgas, chief of ordnance for the Confederacy. In 1878, he was named president of the university and moved into the house that was eventually named for him. He remained president of the university until his death in 1883. One unique fact about Josiah Gorgas was that he was one of the few northern born Confederate generals. As the head of ordnance for the Confederacy, he ensured that the South had adequate supplies of arms and munitions throughout the war.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Abilene, Texas: Lene Town

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: