Friday, May 22, 2009

Searching For The Past

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 67 degrees, high 79 degrees, mostly cloudy skies, scattered showers

This was another slow day for us, with Carolyn working on her genealogy research. I took care of some minor chores, did some reading, watched a little TV, and just took things easy.

In the afternoon, we took a ride that eventually led us to West Blocton, my mother's hometown. This little town has almost been forgotten by time, but there are some signs that a little growth is starting. A new subdivision has been started just outside town, and a couple of new businesses have opened. The last time we were there, none of the new stuff had been started.

While we were in the area, we went by the cemetery for Mount Carmel Baptist Church, which my mother attended when she was a child. Many of my relatives are buried there, and Carolyn has used information we gathered there in the past to help trace the family tree on my mother's side.

Carolyn has used information gathered from different sources to trace her family tree all the way back to 1000 AD on her paternal side. In addition, the earliest mention for her paternal side in the New World is in the 1600s. On her maternal side, she has been able to find information back to the 1700s.

On my maternal side, she has found information that dates back to the 1700s. On my paternal side, information can be found that goes back to the 1850s. Obviously, there is a lot of work to be done on my side of the family tree. We are in the process of trying to decide where we can go to get more information.

As might be expected, tracing ancestry is difficult and time consuming. Just when you think a breakthrough has been found, something will arise that discredits the information. Carolyn has become very good at being able to dig through the stuff and find something that adds a little more knowledge. I have a feeling that genealogy is a hobby that never ends.

More alter, be safe.

Today's Town - Colorado Springs, Colorado: Pike’s Peak’s City

Not all who wander are lost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can't be serious about Greenbow. I can't beleive that Forresat Gumps home town just up disappeared and the state let it happen. But I guess they could, Bama folks are a lot like Tenn folks, what have you done for me lately.