Sunday, May 31, 2009

New Tires

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 61 degrees, high 90 degrees, clear skies

There have been hot air balloon races taking place at the Tuscaloosa airport this weekend. This picture is a sample of the different kinds I saw when I finished my walk this morning. I think it would be a lot of fun to take a ride in one of these. Imagine the peace and quiet as you float along over the countryside. Of course, it would be nice to stay away from power lines.

The races had two flight times on Saturday, with the first being at 0630 hours and the second taking place at 1700 hours. Sunday, the only flight time was at 0630 hours. Note the reflections of some of the balloons in the river.

I finally made a decision on which tires to buy for the truck. Actually, it wasn't that hard to decide. As I said in last night's post, I had narrowed the choices down to Michelin and BF Goodrich. When I arrived at Sam's Club today, I asked the salesman to check the prices again so I could make sure the prices I was quoted yesterday were correct. Everything checked out, but then I was told they didn't have the Michelins in stock. It would take at least ten days to get them here. Since we plan to go to Florida in the next few days, I decided to go ahead and buy the BF Goodrich tires. I have never used that brand, but the user reports on different discussion pages give them good reviews. Plus, they are about 40% cheaper. That's a significant difference in the cost. We'll see how they perform.

We have been keeping up with the NCAA Women's College World Series, held to decide the collegiate championship in softball. Florida is the number one seeded team, while Alabama is the number four seed. Today, we watched an exciting game between the two teams that looked like Alabama was going to win until the bottom of the last inning with two out when Florida hit a bases loaded home run to win the game. Both teams are very good, and either one would have been a great champion. As a result of the loss, Alabama is out of the tournament while Florida will go on to play either Georgia or Michigan for the championship, starting tomorrow night. Go, Gators!

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Nashville, Georgia: City Of Dogwoods

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: