Saturday, May 9, 2009

More Rain Coming

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 70 degrees, high 85 degrees, mostly cloudy skies, heavy showers after sunset

Just when we thought the weather would be better for a few days, here comes the rain again. When I saw the forecast this evening, I mowed the yard because I think it will be several days before it's dry enough to mow again.

After my morning walk and breakfast, I decided to go to the library. I took the old computer and updated the anti-virus program, as well as installed all the Microsoft patches and fixes for the operating system. We haven't updated everything on the old computer since we have been here because the Internet access is so slow. When I use the library's wifi access, the connection routinely runs at about 400 kbs. That's much faster than what we have at the RV.

As a result of the slow economy, many businesses in this area have closed their doors. Among those closing were convenience stores, grocery stores, restaurants, and others. This past week, Bruno's, a grocery chain located in Alabama and parts of Florida, was sold for a low price to another chain. As a result of the sale, several of the Bruno's stores will be closed. The Bruno's chain includes Bruno's, Food Max, and Food World. There is a Food Max located a bout three miles from where we live that is closing, meaning that the only store near us will be the WalMart Mall. As much as we use WalMart, we still like to see other stores open and viable to provide competition. We can only hope that another chain will open the closed store again. There is also the matter of the people losing their jobs. We feel for them, and hope they find new jobs soon.

Since we don't have much going on today, I'm posting a picture we took when we were on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington in 2004. This is Crescent Lake, one of the prettiest lakes we have ever seen. Finding the lake was an unexpected bonus of our trip. It is located just off US 101, west of Port Angeles. In my opinion, it rates as beautiful as Lake Tahoe.

Did everyone notice that the price of postage stamps is being increased by two cents on Monday? I stopped by the post office in Northport this morning and picked up a few books before the price goes up. We should be good for stamps for the rest of this year.

When I went for my morning walk, there was a running event taking place. Even though the temperature was not that high, the humidity was high. The runners looked like they were suffering. I like walking, but running is not one the physical activities I like to do. Especially with the humidity we have here and seeing how the running made these people look like they were ready to pass out. I'll do my fast walk.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Tacoma, Washington: When Rails Meet Sails

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: