Friday, May 1, 2009

Lost Near Jasper

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 64 degrees, high 84 degrees, cloudy early, then partly cloudy

After I returned from my morning walk and ate breakfast, we decided it was time to get out and see a little more of Alabama. And did we ever see a little more of Alabama. By the time we returned home, it was almost dark and we had driven almost 300 miles. In fairness, I have to say that part of the miles driven were done to take Thomas up to the location where his dad picks him up for their bi-weekly visit. We still drove more than I intended, but it was a full day.

We started out headed north on Alabama 69 in the direction of Jasper. The route led us through rolling and wooded countryside where few people live. If we hadn't known better, we would have thought we were in a state or national forest. Carolyn saw some blooming mountain laurel, and both of us saw a lot of honeysuckle, wild roses, wisteria, and many other types of flowers. Traffic was fairly light, which allowed us to take our time and actually see the countryside instead of having to rush through the area.

We had been through Jasper last year, but we took the time today to explore a little. Jasper seems like a nice town, and the heavy traffic indicated to us that the area is doing well. It looks like a good place to raise a family.

When we left Jasper, the real adventure started. We had decided to take some back roads on our return home, and the map indicated some roads that would get us back. Well, not so fast. We got into an area that had us turned around so much that the only thing I could say about where we were was in the state of Alabama. Carolyn kept telling me I should stop and ask for directions. Telling a man to stop for directions is like waving a red flag in front of him. I don't need no stinking directions, I have a map. Right.

She kept after me until I stopped and asked for directions. Hah! A lot of good that did. By the time the fellow finished giving me directions, I was lost even worse than before. You know the drill - "Go down the road to the railroad trestle, take a right, go up the hill to the stop sign, turn right, then left........". Anyway, I think you get the idea. I backtracked to civilization to the point where I could locate our location on the map, found a route home, and took off. We got home about 1530 hours, rested for about a half hour, then took Thomas up to meet his dad. Then it was back home. That is, after stopping at Cracker Barrel for supper.

I think we'll take things a little easier tomorrow.

On yesterday's post, a reader asked how we got the name and motto of the town or city we use for the Today's Town feature. My response was that we only used the names of cities and towns that we have actually been to. If we haven't been there, we don't use it. The mottos usually come from welcome signs or from the city or town web site. Obviously, we have been to more cities and towns than we have used, but many of them do not have mottos. What's my favorite so far? Hico, Texas: Where Everybody Is Somebody.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Jasper, Alabama: Working People Working Together

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: