Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ten Pounds Of Mail

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 64 degrees, high 87 degrees, mostly cloudy in the morning, then partly cloudy

Like most full-time RVers, we receive our mail intermittently. We have an official address we use for voting and income tax purposes in Livingston, Texas. All of our mail goes to that address, and is forwarded to us whenever we call and have it sent to where we are. Since we don't want to pay any more than necessary to receive our mail, we have gotten rid of most of the mail we used to get. All our normal expenses are paid via the Internet or through automatic deductions from our checking account. Imagine our surprise today when we received our mail, and it weighed about ten pounds. When I reviewed the mail, I found that an investment company had sent us a bunch of unsolicited prospectuses for different mutual funds, apparently in an attempt to drum up some business during this slow economy. As far as I am concerned, this is the worst thing they could have done if they wanted any business from us. How receptive do you think I am to this company now?

It took me about 15 minutes to go through the mail. By the time I was finished, I was really steaming. I found that some information was duplicated, and none of it was of any use to us. I will be calling the company tomorrow to express my displeasure with them and their marketing efforts.

Most people do not know how to read an electricity meter. Actually, it's easy. Now, Alabama Power is making it even easier. In an effort to lower their costs, they are changing out all the meters to the digital meters, rather than the analog meters. The digital meters are really easy to read. Plus, I understand the meters can be read remotely. I guess that means no more meter readers walking through yards, getting the dogs excited. I wonder if this move saves Alabama Power any money? If so, are they going to reflect the savings in the monthly bills? I'm sure they'll do the right thing. Right?

Daylight comes here by 0530 hours, triggering my wake up mechanism. I'm finding that I wake earlier and earlier as daylight comes sooner. The only good thing about waking early is that I get my walk done earlier. I think I would rather sleep longer.

Below is a picture of the Painted Desert in Arizona that we took in 2004. I think beauty can be found in most places, if we take the time to look.



There wasn't much going on here today. It was one of those days where it was just slow. I'm about ready for some adventure. Maybe we can stir up something tomorrow.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Waxahachie, Texas: The Gingerbread City

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your blog, but am curious as to how you choose your city at the end and how you find their motto?
VickieP

Jerald said...

Thanks for the question. The only way I will use a city or town in the Town of the Day section is if we have actually been to the city or town. The motto usually comes from a welcome sign or the website for the town. Obviously, we have been to more towns than listed, but if they do not have a motto, I don't use the town's name.

Again, thanks for the question.

Jerald