Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Leak

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 32 degrees, high 75 degrees, clear skies, windy

When I got up this morning, I seemed to have gotten over whatever was making me feel under the weather yesterday. Then, late in the afternoon, I started sneezing, felt headachy, and my eyes were burning. I think there's stuff in the air outside that's causing these symptoms. I started treating the symptoms tonight, so maybe it won't last long.

Since I felt better this morning, I went for a walk. After getting back and eating breakfast, I started working on some chores outside. I found a puddle of water on the basement floor that I traced to either the water heater bypass valve or the winterization valve. I knew for sure that the water heater bypass valve was leaking, but was uncertain whether the winterization valve was leaking because it was below the other valve. I took everything loose, leaving the water lines hooked up, and separated the two valves so I could see whether the lower one was leaking. Then I went to the RV parts store over in Cottondale to pick up some parts.

When I got to the RV parts store, I talked to the serviceman about how to repair the valves. His recommendation was to do what I had already thought of, but it's nice to get reassurance on something as critical as a leak in the plumbing. The only problem was that they didn't have the clamps I needed. I did go ahead and buy two roof vent covers. In addition, I ordered a roof vent cover for the Fantastic Fan that we have, and it should be here by Monday.

For almost two hours, I went from store to store, finally finding the parts I needed for the repairs. When I got home, I checked the leaking areas again, and guess what? Dry as a bone. I could not find a leak anywhere. I decided to leave everything as it was, and check again later. When I checked about three hours later, I found just a hint of moisture on the suspect valve. I'm going to leave it overnight and see what is going on tomorrow. Hopefully, I can finish the repairs then.

The RV is under warranty, and I know I could get the manufacturer to make the repairs. The only problem is that in most instances, they will not go to a customer's location to make the repairs. They usually want the RV to be brought in and left with them until they can get to it. That doesn't work for us, and I think I can make these repairs, saving ourselves a lot of aggravation. I needed to go to the parts store to buy the vent covers, so was able to take care of two things at once.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Baxley, Georgia: A City Of Excellence

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: