Thursday, April 23, 2009

University Of Alabama Arboretum

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 60 degrees, high 86 degrees, mostly clear skies

Carolyn's doctor's visit to follow up on the nodules on the calf of her left leg was today, and went well. The nodules continue to improve, and she will not have to see the doctor again until August.

We have been coming to the Tuscaloosa area to visit Terri and Thomas for more than 12 years. For most of that time, I have been wanting to visit the University of Alabama Arboretum. Since I didn't have much to do today, I decided to tour the arboretum.

The arboretum was founded in 1958 and is located just inside Tuscaloosa'a eastern city limits. It consists of 60 acres of mostly native woodlands. The land was donated by the federal government to help support the University's goals of promoting research and providing public education and service. The facility has several miles of trails that meander through the woods, as well as three greenhouses where plants are grown to plant on the property. Admission is free.

When I arrived, there was a school bus there that had brought in some little kids to learn about the facility. As I stepped out of the truck, I heard a tremendous din that seemed to carry on and on. As I walked from the parking lot toward the open air pavilion, I realized that the bus load of kids was taking part in a guided activity inside the pavilion that involved making all the noise. Apparently, they were pounding sheets of paper to make it look distressed. With all the enthusiasm the kids were displaying, there was no doubt in my mind the paper was going to look distressed.

Most of the trees and plants I saw were familiar to me, since the forest is a typical southern wooded area. What I didn't recognize were many of the flowers. Below are some of the specimens that I saw on the property and in the greenhouses.

























































The trip to the arboretum was a worthwhile activity, and would certainly be something that a family could enjoy. The only negative was the entry road, which was a one lane dirt road about a mile long. I'm not sure what I would have done if I had met another vehicle while entering or leaving. Still, I enjoyed the tour.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - West, Texas: Home Of Westfest!

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: