Saturday, April 11, 2009

Flower Hunting

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 50 degrees, high 60 degrees, cloudy skies

Have you noticed how much a 12 year old boy can eat? This morning, Thomas had eggs, grits, bacon, toast, butter, and strawberry jam for breakfast. That was after a little snack before breakfast. About every hour after breakfast, he was back in the kitchen, looking through the refrigerator and pantry and finding something else to eat. I keep reminding myself that he is a growing boy. If I tried to eat as much as he does, I don't think I would be able to waddle. He is as skinny as a rail, even with his appetite. It's a good thing he does eat well. Otherwise, the wind might blow him away. I can remember when I could eat like that. Ahhh, the good old days.

Some mornings when I go for a walk, I wonder how I'm going to finish the distance I set for myself. This morning was one of those mornings. Before I left home, my neck was stiff, as was my right shoulder. When I think of it, my whole body seemed stiff and sore. I persevered, however, and was glad I did. By the time I finished the walk, I was feeling looser and better, and was ready for breakfast.

I checked the leak repair on the water heater bypass valve this morning, and the results were inconclusive. It may have been my imagination, but there seemed to be the slightest hint of moisture on the valve. Since it was cool last night, it may have been condensation. I'm going to leave everything as it is until Monday, and check it again.

I went to the post office this morning to pick up our mail, which had been forwarded from Texas. I arrived at the post office at 1000 hours, and they had already closed the window. If they're not going to give any better service than that, why are they open on Saturdays at all? With all the complaints we hear from the post office about not having enough money to operate, why don't they suspend service for the weekends? I don't see the service as being all that good, so it wouldn't hurt us. Private businesses cut back when they need to or lay employees off. What is so sacred about the post office?

This afternoon, we went looking for dogwood trees because we like them so much.



Another of Carolyn's favorite flowers is the honeysuckle. Her absolute favorite is the pink honeysuckle.



The last picture of interest is this beautiful purple wildflower. I have no idea what the name is, but there's a lot of them up here in Alabama.



More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Cincinnati, Ohio: The Queen City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: