Monday, April 20, 2009

Carolyn And Genealogy

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 53 degrees, high 68 degrees, partly cloudy skies

I heard on the radio this morning that every county in Alabama was under a tornado watch or tornado warning yesterday. Unfortunately, some people in the northern part of the state died as a result of the storms. Our weather consisted of a tornado watch for most of the afternoon and early evening, and heavy rain. When the weather is like this, we use our weather radio and the television to keep up with what's coming our way. If we need to, we seek better shelter. As much as we like the RV lifestyle, we're not foolish enough to think that the RV is a safe place to be when a tornado strikes.

Carolyn is still suffering a little from her episode with vertigo a few days ago. Since she is staying in, she has been working on her favorite hobby, genealogy. She seems to have few problems tracking most branches of our extended family, except when she tries to find information farther back than my grandfather on my side of the family tree. We have made jokes that my relatives must have been outlaws, because information on them is so difficult to find. Over the last couple of days, she did manage to find some information that shed a little more light, but almost immediately ran into a brick wall. What is really hurting the search is the fact that part of the records were destroyed by fire. In addition, some of the census workers in the past were less than diligent when recording information. I think I'll get her to show me how she does the searches for information. Who knows, maybe I can help her find my missing relatives.

I checked the area in the basement that was leaking, and which I repaired last week. Everything was still dry, so I put it all back together, which included hiding the plumbing. Looks like new. In addition, I installed some fishing rod holders so I could get my fishing rods off the floor of the basement. Next on my list of things to make my life a little easier is something to hang my extension cord on. That should be easy to do. The RV already has a place to hang the RV power cord when traveling.

We have a central vacuum system, and it is really powerful. The problem is that it seems like a lot of work to get the hose and accessories out of the basement, put everything together, hook it up to the vacuum outlet, do the vacuuming, take everything apart, and put it back in the basement. Maybe I'm making this harder than it needs to be, but I hope it starts getting easier.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Lander, Wyoming: Where Rails End And Trails Begin

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: