Monday, April 27, 2009

Coaling, Alabama

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 60 degrees, high 89 degrees, mostly clear skies

Coaling is a small community about 12 miles east of Tuscaloosa. I had heard and seen the name several times, and was intrigued by the name. Today seemed like a good day to check the area out, so I drove over there this morning. Carolyn decided she would stay at home and take care of a couple things that she wanted to do.

Coaling is located south of I-59/20 off US 11. The countryside is mostly rolling wooded hills, interspaced with fields. When I got to the center of the township, I found that it had a town hall, water utility, and a post office. It appears that several housing developments have built built over the past few years to accommodate growth spreading from the Tuscaloosa and Bessemer areas. The town is slow and quiet. Unfortunately, this was one of those excursions that I took that didn't quite turn out the way I hoped. Still, I know where Coaling is, and what the area is like. That's worth something. I tried to find information on the history of Coaling, but was unsuccessful.

When I got back into Tuscaloosa, I stopped by Sears to check out their truck tires. We're going to need new tires soon, and I'm looking around to see what's the best tire and deal. The tires I looked at today were Michelins, which are hard to beat. When I was given the price, I almost went into shock. How does well over $900 sound? Yuck! I'm going to keep looking a little longer.

When I left Sears, I stopped at the library to get more books, as well as some dvds. It's amazing how busy the library is in this time of recession.

After the library, I made a final stop to pick up a few groceries. By the time I got home, I was ready for some rest. As a break, we watched Michael Clayton, a movie with George Clooney. Not a bad choice, and it was nice to watch a movie that was serious instead of a stupid comedy. After supper, I put some more wax on the truck. That little job should be finished tomorrow.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Greenville, South Carolina: G-Vegas

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: