Friday, May 15, 2009

Happy Birthday, Thomas

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 69 degrees, high 88 degrees, mostly clear skies

Thomas reached a milestone in his life today when he turned 13 years old. We feel so fortunate that we were able to share this occasion with him and Terri. They came to the RV this evening and we had supper. After letting our meals settle a little, we had cake and ice cream. Thomas loves chocolate, so the cake was chocolate truffle and the ice cream was chocolate from Breyer's. I'll probably be up half the night getting to sleep after all that chocolate. That's okay, it was good.

Terri has a birthday party planned for Thomas tomorrow, with everything taking place at the bowling alley. He'll have his best friends there, and I'm sure they'll have a good time. This has been a good week for Thomas, with the news that he was selected for the basketball team, and then turning 13 years old. We're proud of him, and Terri is doing a great job teaching him the right values. Of course, we're proud of our other grandchildren, also. That means you, Julian and Zoe.

We were tired after our trip to Athens yesterday, so we didn't do much other than having Terri and Thomas over for supper and cake. In Wednesday's post, I mentioned that I was going to relate a history changing event that took place at the University of Alabama. My intent was to write about this event yesterday, but I forgot about it. I guess I was a little tired after our trip to Athens. Anyway, here's that little tidbit of history.

When I was on the campus of the University of Alabama on Wednesday, I noticed a historical plaque in front of a building. Walking over to see what was written on the plaque, I found that I had stumbled upon a site that had a real historical impact on the way people in this country were treated. On June 11, 1963, Governor George Wallace stood in front of the doors of Foster Hall to stop the enrollment of two black students at the university. This event became known as The Stand At The Schoolhouse Door. When the governor was confronted by federal marshals and Alabama National Guard troops, he stood aside. The troops had been federalized by President Kennedy. One week later, the president sent a comprehensive civil rights bill to Congress that became the foundation of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Sometimes, I am amazed by the events that have taken place during my lifetime. George Wallace's illegal action of standing in a schoolhouse door barring entry to American citizens provided the impetus to pass the Civil Rights Act.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Little Rock, Arkansas: River City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: