Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Medical Tests

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 75 degrees, high 97 degrees, partly cloudy with showers late in the afternoon

I had another doctor to visit today, but the first thing on the agenda was to take care of some housekeeping around the RV. I took the laundry to the campground laundromat and washed the clothes while Carolyn was doing her thing inside the RV. As I said before, she finds it difficult to do much cleaning when she considers me to be in the way. In other words, she wants me gone at that time. So, I try to accommodate her by finding something to do outside or going to the grocery store.

My appointment at the doctor's office was at 1300 hours, and I was there a few minutes early. The nurse called my name at 1300 hours, and the tests began. The appointment today was to perform tests to determine, if possible, whether I have asthma or not. I was diagnosed with asthma by my doctor in Texas back in June, and he prescribed medication to help with the symptoms. The medicine never seemed to help, and eventually I was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia here in Ocala. Since then, I have slowly gotten better, but the pulmonary doctor here in Ocala wanted to have these tests performed today in an effort to be able to say that I do or do not have asthma. He said that it has been his experience that people my age don't normally develop asthma.

I had several different pulmonary function tests performed today, and based on what the technician who performed the tests said, I tend to think I don't have asthma. The technician didn't say that I don't have asthma, but she did say all my responses to the tests were normal. So, that's how I made the conclusion I did. I have a followup appointment with the pulmonary doctor on Thursday to review the tests. I've got my fingers crossed that everything is okay.

After leaving the doctor's office, I went to the WalMart Mall in Silver Springs to pick up a few groceries. We needed a few things, and it gave Carolyn a little more time for what she wanted to do in the RV. The shopping went fine, and even though I had a list, I still forgot one item. Drat! Oh, well. At least that's all I forgot.

Carolyn's getting good at cooking with little or no sodium. Tonight, she prepared chicken and rice, and it was really tasty. She used less than 600 milligrams of sodium for the entire meal, which also included corn on the cob and salad. The food was very good, and there's plenty for supper tomorrow. Maybe this low sodium deal is going to work out.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Somerset, Kentucky: City Of The Third Class

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: