Thursday, August 12, 2010

Vibration

Ocala, Florida

Weather: low 75 degrees, high 90 degrees, partly cloudy skies, scattered showers

Recently, the truck has developed a vibration when driving 35 to 45 mph. The vibration felt like a tire was out of balance. The tires are Michelins which I bought at Sam's Club in Fort Worth. The purchase also included free rotation and balance of the tires as long as we have them. So, this morning I took the truck over to Sam's Club in Ocala, where the tires were rotated and balanced. Happy news - the vibration is gone!

We had rain off and on most of the day from the tropical depression in the Gulf of Mexico. As a result, we didn't do much except that Carolyn did a little cleaning while I was at Sam's. She says it's hard to clean the RV when I'm in the way. I guess I'll have to start finding something to get me out more when she wants to clean. Only one problem: I can't read her mind so I know when to get out.

One thing that we've noticed about all the rain here this summer: if we had this much rain on the Texas gulf coast, mosquitoes would be carrying us away. Here in Ocala, I haven't seen a single mosquito. Thank God!! I don't miss those nasty boogers at all.

When I went to Don Garlits' Museum of Drag racing earlier this week, the admission also included access to an antique car museum. After I finished touring the drag racing museum, I took a tour through the antique car museum. What a surprise!

As I said in the post about the drag racing museum, I'm not much of a fan of drag racing or car racing in general. I appreciate the engineering, mechanical, and driving skills involved. That's about it. On the other hand, I really admire old cars that were driven on the highway. In addition, like the race cars, I also admire the engineering that went into some of the old cars. The museum had a great collection that impressed me with how much care had been taken to restore these old cars. I remember many of the models being driven when I was a child. Looks like I'm dating myself a little. I've been to several antique car museums, but none better than this one.

One of the old cars in particular drew my attention. It was a 1949 ford two door sedan, with a distinctive front grill. The reason I was drawn to the car was that I had one just like it when Carolyn and I met way back yonder. We dated in the car and drove it for a long time after getting married. The worse financial mistake we made in our early married life was trading the Ford in on a 1956 Buick. That Buick was the worse car we ever owned. Anyway, seeing this 1949 Ford brought back a lot of good memories.



This looks like one of the old Bonnie and Clyde cars.



Check out this old roadster.



Here's another good one. These things look like they would be fun to drive.



The phrase "Built like a tank" comes to mind when I look at this one.



This one drew my attention, since I'm a pickup truck kind of guy.



Here's the ultimate beach going car.



That's just a small sample of what I saw in the antique car museum. If anyone is ever in the area, the museum would be a good way to pass the afternoon. I enjoyed it.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Ocala, Florida: Kingdom Of The Sun

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: