Monday, November 1, 2010

More Looking

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 42 degrees, high 72 degrees, mostly clear skies

Carolyn was still a little under the weather with her latest bout of vertigo, so I decided to get out a little and just look around the area. By chance, I ended up in the Ardmore area again. I'm not sure what it is about that area that draws me, other than the scenic beauty and the small town feeling that we like so much.

While I was looking around, I happened to find the library. We're getting a little low on books to read, so I pulled in to see if they had any used books they wanted to sell. It just so happened that they did, and I was fortunate enough to find four books, for which I was charged a grand total of $0.80. You can't beat those prices, and one of the books was a hardback.

By the time I made it back home, it was lunchtime. Remember Carolyn said I had an uncanny sense of when to be home to eat meals? That sense paid off again today, as she was heating lunch up as I walked in the door.

After eating lunch, I got so tired that I needed some meditation. At this point in my life, I try not to miss a chance at meditation, and I didn't miss it today.

When the meditation was finished, Carolyn wanted to go look around a little. That meant she was feeling better, but I wanted to make sure she didn't start feeling the vertigo again. Instead of taking off on a long trip around north Alabama, I drove over to the eastern part of Limestone County, which Elkmont and Athens are in. That part of the county has seen tremendous growth since we moved away from here in 1990. That growth is probably due to the nearness of Madison and Huntsville, and Limestone County has become the basic bedroom community.

During our drive, we noticed that two different people were growing mustard greens and turnip greens, which they were giving away free to people who wanted to go and pick them. We may take them up on some of those greens, since both of us like fresh garden greens.

Normally, we don't like to shop for groceries on the weekends or late in the afternoon because of crowded stores. Unfortunately, we needed a few things from the WalMart Mall in Athens, so we bit the bullet and went as we started home. Carolyn went with me for a change, and of course it took about twice as long. She likes to take her time, while I go get what I'm after and leave. About an hour later, we were headed home.

By the time we got home, it was late enough for supper. Carolyn prepared some hot dogs, and we watched the news while eating. Hot dogs and the news: sounds like a sure fire recipe for heartburn.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Ardmore, Alabama: Crepe Myrtle Capital Of Alabama

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: