Sunday, October 31, 2010

Covered Bridge

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 36 degrees, high 72 degrees, early frost, clear skies

The temperature didn't get quite as cold last night, but it was still cold enough for frost. It was also cold enough to make for good sleeping. We love this weather!

We got up a little later than normal, but that was fine, since we were still tired from all our adventures over the last few days. By the I had some breakfast and Carolyn had her usual leisurely coffee, it was almost 0930 hours. About that time, I decided to take another walk on the walking path that I walked on yesterday. This time, I decided to go south toward Elkmont. Here's what the trail looks like going south.



As I was walking today, the trail reminded me of the Natchez Trace Parkway. Woods on each side, limited access, quiet, beautiful.

As I wrote yesterday, the route for the trail follows an old railroad bed. All of the railroad stuff was removed, and then the state built the trail. There is even a covered bridge across a creek on the trail. The railroad had a bridge across the creek, which they removed. The state used some of the original stonework for the covered bridge they put in.



Some of the original stonework can be seen in this next picture.



By the time I got back home, I had walked a little more than three miles. It's not a hard walk, but seems to take longer than normal because the route is so scenic, and I spend some time looking.

After lunch, we decided to take another trip up the road a few miles to Ardmore. We wanted to do some more exploring, and get to know that area a little better. By the time we left there, I think we must have gone up and down every street in the town, as well as some of the roads outside town. this is a nice area that we will be looking at some more.

By the time we got home, we were ready to stay at home for the rest of the day. I extended our stay here, and may do it again. That's how much we like it here.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Dallas, Texas: America’s Favorite City

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: