Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hard Hike

Heiskell, Tennessee

Weather: low 45 degrees, high 75 degrees, partly to mostly cloudy skies

Can you believe I slept until almost 0800 hours this morning? I know that's probably not exciting news to the readers, but I have been trying to change my sleep habits for a long time. Maybe I've finally succeeded.

Carolyn's vertigo continued to give her problems today. She has found that about the only thing that helps when she's having these problems is just what she's doing: staying inside and taking it easy so her brain and eyes are not exposed to all the motion and colors in the outside world.

We have talked a little about whether we need to settle in one place in order to accommodate the vertigo. So far, Carolyn is resisting settling down because she (as well as me) loves to travel so much. Hopefully, she will feel better in a day or two.

After lunch, I took a little walk on the RV park's walking path, which leads up and around the high hill behind the park. Some people would call it a hill, while others might call it a mountain. When I started, I had no idea how difficult the trail was. By the end of my trek, I was wore out, having to stop several times to rest while climbing the hill. It's a steep hill, with rocks and roots, as well as fallen leaves on the path. A walker has to be aware of what's under his feet, since a misstep could send you rolling down the hill.

Here's the start of the path. Looks easy, doesn't it?



It's fall time, with winter not far behind, but we still see flowers from time to time.



The leaf changes are plentiful on the hill, including this shot about half way up.



I saw a tree that had blown down and uprooted a big rock that was tangled in it's roots.



One more picture that shows some fall color on the hill.



Taking the walk on the hill kicked my butt, and meditation called when I got home.

I had to drive down to the next exit on I-75, and noticed that over the last two days, the hills have become much more colorful. If Carolyn feels better tomorrow, we'll get out and about.

Has anyone noticed the uproar that is going on in France over raising the retirement age? It seems that the government wants to raise the retirement age in order to make the retirement system more viable. Massive strikes and protests have been raging for at least a week. That's quite a contrast in retirement ages between the French and the US, where we can retire at a reduced benefit at 62. Don't you feel bad for the French? Poor babies......

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Cookeville, Tennessee: Cookieville

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: