Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Hair Cut And Other Things

Heiskell, Tennessee

Weather: light showers overnight, fog early, then clear skies

Remember when I said we came up to this area to visit family and see the fall colors? Well, the family visits have been great, but the leaf peeping has left a lot to be desired. Sure, there is some color, but it is very scattered. And, there has been some improvement over the past couple of days. Maybe we were spoiled by the spectacular displays we saw when we were in New England in 2000 and 2001. Here's what we're seeing here at this time, since I took these pictures today.





Notice how green everything still looks? I went to get a haircut this morning, and the barber said the temperatures have been a little too warm for good leaf colors. The weather is supposed to cool off in the next day or two' so maybe we'll see better colors after that.

I guess life's pretty good when the only thing I can find to complain about is the lack of color in the fall leaves. The weather has been outstanding since we've been here. It is much better than the heat and humidity we endured while in Florida for four months.

By the way, guess how short the haircut was. About six months ago, I got a short haircut because I was going to work in an outage at a nuclear power plant in Texas. I knew the hours would be long and there would be little time for haircuts. At that time, I told the barber to give me an outage haircut. He said are you sure, and I said absolutely. Little did I know that I was about to get scalped, or at least a very short haircut. I looked like a green recruit just out of the barber's chair at boot camp, which I was back in the 1960s. Carolyn was amazed that I got a cut that short, but I kind of liked it. Ever since then, I've been getting my hair cut short, but not quite as short as the first one. Today, I went retro, with less than a half inch (if that) on top. Who knows, maybe if it keeps getting thin, I may end up shaving it like many of the senior citizens I see.

Then again, maybe not. That's probably too extreme for me, and Carolyn would have a fit.

I guess the readers can tell there's not much happening with us today. Sometimes, we just need to rest instead of going out and sightseeing. Today was that kind of day.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Jacksonville, Florida: Where Florida Begins

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: