Sunday, October 10, 2010

Downtown Tifton, Georgia

Brookfield, Georgia

Weather: low 50 degrees, high 87 degrees, clear skies

Carolyn woke up this morning ready to do some cooking. She had several things she wanted to use before they had to be thrown away, such as vegetables. Since I've learned from the school of hard knocks to get out of the way when she's busy (she's not really bad), I decided to go to the flea market and check out downtown Tifton.

We went to the flea market yesterday afternoon, but they were already closed by the time we got there. This morning, I got there early enough that some of the vendors were still putting their junk, I mean stuff, out for sale.

I found that this flea market was probably the worse one that I have ever been to. Just about all the junk was from people's homes that looked like leftover yard sale stuff. Carolyn did good by staying home and cooking.

I left the junk sale and drove on into downtown Tifton to check it out. The first picture of note was of the Tift Theatre. I can remember when these old theatres were the center of social activity, and were great places to dump the kids on a Saturday afternoon for an afternoon of western movies, serials, comedies, and previews of coming attractions.



Something just occurred to me: I never thought I would be remembering the past with such fondness. Life seemed much simpler then.

Here's a picture of the downtown area of Tifton. I imagine it is a bustling place during the week.



The courthouse was not easily found, because it is located off the main business area of town. At least they are still using it.



At one time, Tifton was an important railroad city. These days, it's not as important, but they have turned the old train depot into a museum.



By the time I was finished walking around downtown Tifton, I was getting a little hungry. I headed home where Carolyn had prepared, among other things, a very good chicken salad. We sat down and enjoyed the chicken salad, with enough left over for supper.

After lunch, we decided to explore some of the local back roads. The economy of this area is dependent on agriculture, and every where we looked was evidence of the harvesting of the crops. I hope they get a good price for their hard labor.

Both of us have appreciated the natural beauty of the area, along with the neat little houses and yards. These people take pride in the appearance of their homes, no matter how small or old.

We may move on up the road a little way tomorrow, as we work our way to Tennessee. Then again, maybe we'll stay here another day. Check in to see what we do.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Pawling, New York: The Pride Of The Harlem Valley

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: