Monday, March 10, 2008

Golf

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 59 degrees, high 62 degrees, cloudy early, rain on and off from noon until dark

It rained like cats and dogs here Thursday afternoon after we arrived. Today, it rained, although not as hard as it did Thursday. We had forgotten how humid and wet everything gets when it rains here. We're hopeful that the next few days will be drier.

When we lived here before, my brother Terrell and I used to play golf together a couple of times a week. Since we moved away, we had not played together since the summer of 2005. I had not played at all since September of 2005 because of a shoulder injury. I saw a doctor about my shoulder back then, and he sent me to a physical therapist in an attempt to not have to perform surgery on it. Luckily for me, the therapy worked and I was given some exercises to do on a routine basis to ensure that my shoulder continued to feel good. Today was the first time I have played golf since the injury, and it was fun. My game, as expected, was rusty, but by the end of the round the rust was starting to flake off. It was a fun round. We finished just as the rain started.

We had several tasks we wanted to get done today, but the golf and weather got in the way. Of course, there is always tomorrow. I'm retired. Yeahh!

The park we are staying in is full, and if nothing changes by Thursday, we will either have to move on down the road or find another place to stay. There is nothing available in Bay City or Matagorda. We may be able to stay in Palacios, which is about 30 miles away. I'll check on that tomorrow. If nothing comes up, we'll move on Thursday.

Among the unique things we like about the little towns are the hardware stores that some of them have. Bay City has one of the old style stores that I like to browse through and see what they have that I might need. It has been in business for about 60 years, and has survived in spite of the WalMart Super Store that has been built. Here's a picture of the one in Bay City. Note the mural on the side of the building.


Tonight we went to the Waterfront Restaurant, located at the Boat Harbor in Matagorda for dinner. We try to go there everytime we are in town. While there, we checked the RV parks to see if they had any spaces available, but they don't.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town -Buffalo, New York: American Masters, American Treasures

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: