Sunday, March 16, 2008

Good Chinese Food, Bad Service

Bay City, Texas

Weather: low 56 degrees, high 72 degrees, mostly cloudy, winds to 20 mph

I woke about 0230 hours this morning, and could not go back to sleep. Finally, about a half hour later, I decided to get up and read some until I got sleepy. Reading helped, and I was able to go back to sleep. When I was working and had a problem like that, it seemed that I could not go back to sleep. Now that I am retired, there is less pressure to get up at a certain time so I can go meet work obligations. I know if I don't sleep well, I can always do some power meditation later on that will fix me up.

We went to a Chinese restaurant with Lori and her family for lunch. This restaurant was closed for remodeling, getting rid of their buffet line, adding new furniture including booths, new wood flooring, and new decorations. The remodeling looks good, but I think they made a mistake in getting rid of the buffet line. Today was the first time they have been open in several weeks due to the remodeling, and it was like they had forgotten how to prioritze tasks and serve people. We arrived at 1115 hours, our orders were taken right away, and our meal arrived in bits and pieces for the next hour and a quarter. The final dish was taken home as a carryout because it never was ready until we decided to leave. I received my order about 15 minutes after ordering, Carolyn received hers about 15 minutes later. Lori's family received their food over the course of about 20 more minutes. Food was left off our orders, which we had to ask for. I never received the egg drop soup I ordered. On the plus side, the food was very tasty, but the service was as bad as I have ever seen. This restaurant has been open for quite a while before remodeling, and it was like they forgot everything they had learned about serving food to the public. Several people got up and walked out because of the long wait. When we left, there were still people there who got there 10 minutes after we did that had not gotten their food. I hope they get their act together. If they don't, that will be one more business biting the dust in Bay City.

Later in the afternoon, Lori and Zoe came over and worked on scrapbooking with Carolyn. Lori helped Carolyn create a scrapbook with pictures of Carolyn and her mother. While they were doing the crafting, I was watching Tiger Woods play golf in Arnold Palmer's golf torurnament. Before it was over, a man came to the door and asked for help in setting up his satellite dish. That took me away from the golf match, but that's okay. Tiger won his fifth PGA tournament in a row, and tied Ben Hogan for the most wins in a career. Oh, and by the way, we got the man's dish set up and operating.

If the weather does not change drastically tomorrow, we will be leaving here on our way to Tuscaloosa, Alabama to visit our daughter Terri and her family. We expect to take our time and get there Thursday or Friday.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Atlanta, Texas: A Great Place To Live

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: