Friday, March 28, 2008

Little of This, Little of That

Coker, Alabama

Weather: low 62 degrees, high 80 degrees, heavy clouds until mid-afternoon, then partly cloudy. Light sprinkles that gave us about 40 drops.

Earlier this week, I promised some pictures of Lake Lurleen State Park. Even though our Internet connection is fairly good, it is not good enough yet to send pictures out. As soon as I can, I'll go into town and send out a post with those pictures and others we have taken.

Today, we extended our time in the state park through Sunday. The lot we are renting is available now, but the electrical system needs some work, which we hope can be done
tomorrow.

It was a big day with chores. The highlight of the day for me was dumping the holding tanks. It is actually easy to do, especially when you have a black water flushing system like we have. All I have to do is hook up a water hose to a connection under the RV, turn the water on, and let it flush out the tank for a couple minutes. What could be easier? The last thing I do is open the kitchen tank and shower tank to flush the sewer hose. I have to laugh when I think about the fiasco that took place the first time I dumped the tanks. Fortunately, I did not dump anything on the ground, but it was only through luck that I didn't.

That reminds me of another thing that I thought I would never master, which was backing the RV up, especially into tight spaces. When we first bought the RV, we had a storage building that we kept it in. There was only about 24 inches clearance on either side if the RV was centered in the building. The first time we parked it in the building, it took us about two hours, and wore me out. The second time was only slightly better. Over time, I have gotten better to the point that backing is not an issue at all. In fact, I look forward to backing to see how much better I can get.

One of the big problems with backing is when two people are involved, and one of them is a woman who has different ideas of what hand signals mean. Some of our biggest misunderstandings as RVers has been because Carolyn meant different things with her hand signals than what I thought she meant. With time and practice and Carolyn understanding what I need to know, we have gotten much better at working together to back up the RV.

Do you get the idea that I don't have a lot to talk about today? You would be correct, there's not much going on. With the help we are giving Terri and taking care of our everyday chores, we have not had time to get out and about much. But, I promise that we will start passing on what we see and enjoy before long.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Marshall, Texas: A Texas Treasure

Not all who wander are lost.


No comments: