Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Back Home

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 63 degrees, high 72 degrees, cloudy, showers

I had the pacemaker installed yesterday, and the most immediate effect I noticed was that I was able to sleep for about five hours in the hospital last night. Plus, I was able to sleep on my back. It has been months since I could do that.

The doctor who performed the procedure said it went well, and he thinks I will notice an improvement in how I feel as I heal from the procedure. It seemed as though my appetite was better after the operation, but I noticed at lunch that some things still don't taste good that used to. Maybe that will get better with time.

I have to go back to Birmingham in six weeks for a followup. Several restrictions have been placed on what I can do the next two weeks, including no driving. I'm still optimistic about my future going forward. That was enhanced some today, when my doctor in Athens who found the disease called me at home. A biopsy sample was sent to Mayo Clinic for further refining of what type of amyloidosis I have. The doctor received the results today, and wanted to share them with me.

There are three basic types of amyloidosis: primary, AL, and genetic. The biopsy shows that I have the AL strain, which my doctor says gives more treatment options than the primary type does. He will be gathering information for the next two weeks on possible treatment plans and facilities. I will be seeing him at the end of that time, when we will discuss what to do going forward. That is the most encouraging thing I have heard since I was diagnosed, and gives us hope that something is going on that will benefit me.

In the meantime, we would like to thank all the folks who have been keeping us in their prayers and thoughts. You don't know how much it means to us.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Chattanooga, Tennessee: Gateway To The South

Not all who wander are lost.

1 comment:

Bob and Carol Higginbotham said...

So glad that the procedure went well for you and that the doctor is hopefully going to find you some options for futher treatment of this disease. So gad that it is treatable and that it is not genetic. Will continue to keep you in our hearts and prayers. Bob and Carol Higginbotham, Chattanooga Tn.