Saturday, April 9, 2011

Ruby Tuesday, Twice

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 66 degrees, high 80 degrees, clear skies, breezy

It was another beautiful day in north Alabama. Could it be that we're going to skip blackberry winter?

We spent the morning visiting with Terri, catching up on what's been happening with her. At lunch time, we decided to go out to lunch. The question we had was where could we go that I could get food that wasn't full of sodium. Terri suggested Ruby Tuesday, so I looked at their nutritional values for their offerings. I found sirloin steak with a baked potato and steamed broccoli for less than 300 mg of sodium. That worked for me, so off we went to Athens.

There was hardly anyone in the restaurant, even though it was almost noon. When our food was served, I checked it out to make sure there was no salt, and then started eating. Now, I haven't found anything to replace salt yet, but my lunch was not bad. It could be that I'm getting used to no salt. Carolyn and Terri said their food was good, also.

When we left the restaurant, we stopped at a health food store to see if they had any salt substitutes. The clerk said we have sea salt. Well, duh, that's still salt. Anyway, the answer was no salt substitute at the health food store. Strange.

On the way home, we stopped at the library and exchanged our books. It was the first time that Terri had been to this library since we left the area over 20 years ago. She said it was like stepping back in time, because the biggest change was the availability of computers for people to use.

After getting home, rest was in order for the rest of the day, until we decided to go back to Ruby Tuesday for supper. I thought if they had something I could eat for lunch, maybe I could find something for supper. Looking the menu over after checking the sodium levels on the net, I decided to try the dry rub baby back ribs. Along with grilled green beans and french fries, all with no salt. Again, I was able to eat well, without much sodium. Still, I miss the salt. I never ate a lot of salt, in the past, but when you've been told to reduce the amount of salt you eat as much as possible, it makes you aware of how much salt is in our everyday food.

The evening was spent reading, watching television, and surfing the web. Nice and relaxed.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Kosciusko, Mississippi: A Great Place To Live

Not all who wander are lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been following your blog for awhile and have so enjoyed reading about your travels and the purchase of your home, etc. I am so sorry to know that you are facing a health challenge but it sounds like your attitude and support from your family will see you through this time. As a foodie, I am in total sympathy that you are unable to enjoy some of the foods that you once did. Since I am on a sodium-restricted diet, I carry Salt Sense with me into restaurants, etc...it has 33% less sodium than regular salt and is available in most grocery store. Keep well & keep writing!

Jerald said...

Thank you for the kind words of support. I have some great role models to follow in two people that I care very much for. And, the support from family has picked me up several times.

Like most RVers, we like eating out at different restaurants. I especially like the little places off the beaten path, since they usually have the more authentic regional style of cooking. We have been searching for sodium substitutes, and I'll be sure to try the one that you recommend.

Jerald