Friday, April 8, 2011

Met Another Neighbor

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 63 degrees, high 80 degrees, partly cloudy skies

Both of us were tired today after the road trip yesterday. I wanted to do some painting on the screened porch trim, but couldn't muster up enough enthusiasm to do it. My rationale was that the recent rain probably wet the wood too much for painting. I don't know what excuse I'll use tomorrow.

Carolyn did some more genealogy today, finding a possible link to another ancestor on my father's side that we had never heard of before. She's still checking the possible connection, making sure there is something valid there. I hope there is, since that would give us another possible route to take my paternal line back beyond the 1850s.

We met another neighbor today, a former NYC cop who retired to the area about 20 years ago. Jonah is a typical New Yorker who has lived in the south long enough to pick up many of the same mannerisms that we associate with southern people. He loves it here, and says he would never consider moving back to the city. He owns 85 acres of land up near the Tennessee state line, and invited us to use it for shooting, picnics, or whatever. Very nice guy, just like every one else we have met here. To top it off, we had some common memories of the city and Hudson River valley, since we were up there for 15 months about ten years ago. It was a great experience living there.

Terri and Thomas came up for a weekend visit from Tuscaloosa, arriving about 1800 hours. We served them some of my famous Oriental Beef Stew for supper, and they said it was good. I have no idea if it was or not, since I couldn't taste the nuances of flavors that are usually present.

I'm having to watch my sodium intake, so I had broiled fish, along with yellow and zucchini squash, and broccoli. It wasn't as good as it might have been with a little salt, but I guess it'll have to do. I did put some seasoning packet stuff that the doctors gave me on the food , but that stuff is a far cry from salt. The fish was prepared with garlic, black pepper, onion powder, dill, parsley, paprika, and a little lemon juice, and wasn't bad at all, even without salt.

Tonight was the first time we have used the air conditioning since we moved here. Carolyn is already fussing about the weather being too warm.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Hutto, Texas: Official Hippo Community Of Texas

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: