Friday, April 15, 2011

Squeaky Wheel

Elkmont, Alabama

Weather: low 57 degrees, high 59 degrees, cloudy, rain all day, and everything that goes with bad weather in the south in the spring

We didn't get much done on our list of things to do today, since most of the items need good weather to complete. Besides, after three fairly busy days, it was time for a little rest.

About 0815 hours, I received a telephone call from the surgery scheduling nurse at the facility that will be doing my heart pacemaker implant. She apologized for it taking so long to contact me about my surgery, and was very helpful in telling me what I needed to do to get ready for the procedure. She said she had a slot open for next Tuesday, and wanted to know if I wanted to take it. Of course I said yes, since it has been impressed on me how important it is to get this done as soon as possible. So, I am set up for the procedure to be performed next Tuesday early in the morning. I will have to remain in the hospital overnight, then go home on Wednesday. We have hopes that the pacemaker will make a difference in a positive way for my quality of life. I know that it won't solve all my issues, but at least this should be a good start.

Does the quick response today after me complaining yesterday about not hearing from the scheduling nurse mean that the squeaky wheel gets the grease? I don't know, but I have a feeling that if I hadn't said anything, I would be waiting until the cows came home.

Even though we couldn't work on our to do list, we still did a few housekeeping chores. Those things never go away, and Carolyn does not like to wait on them to be done. In addition, we went in to town to the local Publix store and bought some groceries, looking primarily for low and no sodium foods. Does anyone realize how hard it is to eat a diet that has no salt, or very little? I think that as s nation, we have become accustomed to eating out, take out, or convenience foods at grocery stores. About the only foods that don't have much sodium are non-processed, which means that much more cooking is being done in our house. That's tough on someone like me, who loved to try out new restaurants. When we did cook at home, we had old standby recipes we both liked that required more sodium than what I can have now. Hopefully, the pacemaker will help with that, in that we may have more latitude with the sodium.

While we were tn town, we noticed several RVs on the interstate and US highways. That was surprising to us, since we made it a habit to be sitting somewhere when bad weather was upon us. I felt that traveling in heavy rain was too dangerous, and it wasn't fun at all. Besides, the RV will get filthy in rain. I guess some people are in a hurry.

Our daughter Terri lives in Tuscaloosa, where the worse of the weather hit today. They had several tornadoes in and around the area today, but nothing hit where she lives. We were in constant contact with her as all this was going on, and kept her posted on what the Weather Channel was saying, as she was hanging out in the bathroom, the safest room in the house. We're thankful that nothing happened where she was.

I received something unexpected in the mail today, a greeting card from my baby sister Janie, who lives near Lakeland, Florida. It was a nice gesture on her part designed to keep my spirits up, and I appreciate it. We hope to see you soon in Florida, Janie.

More later, be safe.

Today's Town - Lakeland, Florida: A True Sense of Place

Not all who wander are lost.

No comments: